(1) Systemic hypoxia led to little neuronal loss and dramatic optic nerve glial response. Experimental eye research. Mesentier-Louro, L. A., Shariati, M. A., Dalal R., Camargo, A., Kumar, V., Shamskhou, E. A., de Jesus Peres, V., Liao, Y. J. 2020: 107957.
Description of the effects of 48h systemic hypoxia in the retina and optic nerve. It was found that hypoxia led to astrocyte endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress in the retina and anterior optic nerve, as well as oligodendrocyte loss at myelinated optic nerve, which was reverted by 4-phenylbutiric acid, a compound that is typically associated to ER stress reduction.
(2) Dual specific phosphatase 14 deletion rescues retinal ganglion cells and optic nerve axons after experimental anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Current Eye Research. Kumar, V., Shariati, M. A Mesentier-Louro, L. A., Oh, A., Russano, K., Goldberg, J. L., Liao, Y. J. 2020; 1-9.
Genetic deletion of Dusp14, a MAPK phosphatase important in KFL9-mediated inhibition of RGC survival, led to increased activation of MAPK ERK1/2 and greater RGC and axonal survival after experimental AION. Inhibiting Dusp14 or activating the MAPK pathway should be examined further as a potential therapeutic approach to treatment of AION.
(3) Anatomic, genetic and functional properties of the retinal circulation in pulmonary hypertension. Pulmonary circulation. Nickel, N. P., Shamskhou, E. A., Razeen, M. A., Condon, D. F., Messentier-Louro, L. A., Dubra, A., Liao, Y. J., Zamanian, R. T., Yuan, K., Perez, V. A. J. 2020; 10(2) 1- 4.
There is evidence that the retina circulation could be affected in Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) which suggests the existence of a lung-eye axis. These findings have potential far-reaching implications to the pathobiology and clinical evolution of PAH since there are no easily accessible imaging tools available to functionally or anatomically assess the pulmonary microcirculation or stage the degree of vascular remodeling in patients.
(4) Increased ER stress after experimental ischemic optic neuropathy and improved RGC and Oligodendrocytes survival after treatment with chemical chaperon. Investigative Ophalmology & Visual Science. Kumar, V., Mesentier-Louro, L. A., Oh, A. J., Heng, K., Shariati, M. A., Huang, H., Hu, Y., Liao, Y. J.2019; 60(6): 1953-66.
In acute AION there is an increased ER stress and differential expression of ER stress markers CHOP and GRP78 in the retina and optic nerve. Rescue of RGCs and oligodendrocytes with 4-PBA provides support for ER stress reduction as possible treatment for AION.
(5) Direct targeting of the mouse optic nerve for therapeutic delivery. Journal of neuroscience methods. Mesentier-Louro, L. A, Dodd, R., Domizi, P., Nobuta, H. Wernig, G., Liao, Y. J. 2019; 313:1-5.
Description of 3 surgical methods to deliver compounds into the mouse optic nerve: intra-orbital, intra-optical foramen and intracranial.
(6) Experimental Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy in Diabetic Mice Exhibited Severe Retinal Swelling Associated With VEGF Elevation. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE. Sun, M., Shariati, M. A., Liao, Y. J.2017; 58 (4): 2296-2305.
(7) Report on the National Eye Institute Audacious Goals Initiative: Regenerating the Optic Nerve. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. Goldberg, J. L., Guido, W., For The Agi Workshop Participants. 2016; 57 (3): 1271-1275.
(8) Optical Coherence Tomography Study of Retinal Changes in Normal Aging and After Ischemia. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. Shariati, M. A., Park, J. H., Liao, Y. J.2015; 56 (5): 2790-2797.
(9) Subretinal fluid is common in experimental non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy EYE. Yu, C., Ho, J. K., Liao, Y. J.2014; 28 (12): 1494-1501.
(10) Severe, early axonal degeneration following experimental anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Investigative ophthalmology & visual scienceLee, G. H., Stanford, M. P., Shariati, M. A., Ma, J. H., Liao, Y. J.2014; 55 (11): 7111-7118.
(11) Optical coherence tomography study of experimental anterior ischemic optic neuropathy and histologic confirmation. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. Ho, J. K., Stanford, M. P., Shariati, M. A., Dalal, R., Liao, Y. J. 2013; 54 (9): 5981-5988.
(12) Functional rescue of experimental ischemic optic neuropathy with alpha B-crystallin EYE. Pangratz-Fuehrer, S., Kaur, K., Ousman, S. S., Steinman, L., Liao, Y. J.2011; 25 (6): 809-817.
(1) Updates on ophthalmic imaging features of optic disc drusen, papilledema, and optic disc edema. Curr Opin Neurol. Yan, Y., Liao, Y. J. 2021; 34(1):108-115.
Multimodal ophthalmic imaging, especially EDI-OCT, can help distinguish optic disc edema from pseudoedema. Optic nerve head elevation because of ODD is a common cause of pseudoedema and is not a neurological emergency. However, these patients are at risk of vision loss, such as young-onset anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Optical coherence tomography angiography, which does not require contrast, can detect microvascular changes in papillary, peripapillary, and macular regions. Vascular compromise can occur in severe ODD, papilledema, and optic disc edema, leading to secondary anterior ischemic optic neuropathy and irreversible vision loss.
(2) Multimodal Imaging Features of Optic Disc Drusen. American journal of ophthalmology. Yan, Y., Ludwig, C. A., Liao, Y. J. 2021; S0002-9394(20)30681-4.
En face imaging is complementary to OCT in optic disc drusen(ODD). Autofluorescence and near infrared imaging provide valuable clues of ODD. Green-light FAF is most sensitive in all en face imaging to detect ODD
(3) The Project Baseline Health Study: a step towards a broader mission to map human health. NPJ Digital Medicine. Arges, K., Assimes, T., Bajaj, V., Balu, S., Bashir, M. R., Beskow, L., Blanco, R., Califf, R., Campbell, P., Carin, L., Christian, V., Cousins, S., Das, M., Dockery, M., Douglas, P. S., Dunham, A., Eckstrand, J., Fleischmann, D., Ford, E., Fraulo, E., French, J., Gambhir, S. S., Ginsburg, G. S., Green, R. C., Haddad, F., Hernandez, A., Hernandez, J., Huang, E. S., Jaffe, G., King, D., Koweek, L. H., Langlotz, C., Liao, Y. J., Mahaffey, K. W., Marcom, K., Marks, W. J., Maron, D., McCabe, R., McCall, S., McCue, R., Mega, J., Miller, D., Muhlbaier, L. H., Munshi, R., Newby, L. K., Pak-Harvey, E., Patrick-Lake, B., Pencina, M., Peterson, E. D., Rodriguez, F., Shore, S., Shah, S., Shipes, S., Sledge, G., Spielman, S., Spitler, R., Schaack, T., Swamy, G., Willemink, M. J., Wong, C. A. 2020; 3 (1): 84.
The Project Baseline Health Study (PBHS) was launched to map human health through a comprehensive understanding of both the health of an individual and how it relates to the broader population. The PBHS is a prospective, multicenter, longitudinal cohort study that aims to enroll thousands of participants with diverse backgrounds who are representative of the entire health spectrum.
(4) Vision loss in optic disc drusen correlates with increased macular vessel diameter and flux and reduced peripapillary vascular density. American journal of ophthalmology. Yan, Y., Zhou, X., Chu, Z., Stell, L., Shariati, M. A., Wang, R. K., Liao, Y. J. 2020; 218:214-224.
Optic disc drusen (ODD) is an optic neuropathy that is associated with visual field loss. There are 5 OCT and OCTA measurements that most correlated with visual field loss. Increased macular blood flow may be early biomarker of vision loss in ODD, while decreased peripapillary vessel density may be late biomarker of vision loss in ODD.
(5) Slower saccadic reading in Parkinson's disease. PLOS ONE. Jehangir, N., Yu, C., Song, J., Shariati, M., Binder, S., Beyer, J., Santini, V., Poston, K., Liao, Y. J. 2018; 13 (1): e0191005.
(6) Visual Function, digital behavior and the vision performance index. Clin Ophthalmol. Ahmed, S. F., McDermott, K. C., Burge, W. K., Ahmed, I. I.K., Varma, D. K, Liao, Y. J., Crandall, A. S., Khaderi, S. K. R. 2018; 12:2553-2561.
(7) Should Anti-Viral/Anti-VZV Treatment Be Used in Patients with GCA? Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology. Liao, Y. J., Kedar, S.2018
(8) The microvascular niche instructs T cells in large vessel vasculitis via the VEGF-Jagged1-Notch pathway. Science translational medicine. Wen, Z., Shen, Y., Berry, G., Shahram, F., Li, Y., Watanabe, R., Liao, Y. J., Goronzy, J. J., Weyand, C. M.2017; 9 (399).
(9) Association between obstructive sleep apnea and optic neuropathy: a Taiwanese population-based cohort study. Eye (London, England). Sun, M. H., Liao, Y. J., Lin, C. C., Chiang, R. P., Wei, J. C. 2018.
10) Structure-Function Analysis of Nonarteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy and Age-Related Differences in Outcome. Journal of neuro-ophthalmology Sun, M., Liao, Y. J.2017 Sep;37(3):258-264.
(11) Immunoinhibitory checkpoint deficiency in medium and large vessel vasculitis Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences Of The United States Of America. Zhang, H., Watanabe, R., Berry, G. J., Vaglio, A., Liao, Y. J., Warrington, K. J., Goronzy, J. J., Weyand, C. M. 2017; 114 (6): E970-E979.
12) Giant Cell Arteritis: From Pathogenesis to Therapeutic Management. Current treatment options in rheumatology. Watanabe, R., Goronzy, J. J., Berry, G., Liao, Y. J., Weyand, C. M. 2016; 2 (2): 126-137.
(13) Plasticity and Stability of the Visual System in Human Achiasma. NEURON. Hoffmann, M. B., Kaule, F. R., Levin, N., Masuda, Y., Kumar, A., Gottlob, I., Horiguchi, H., Dougherty, R. F., Stadler, J., Wolynski, B., Speck, O., Kanowski, M., Liao, Y. J., Wandell, B. A., Dumoulin, S. O. 2012; 75 (3): 393-401.