LockDown Browser for Students
LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking exams and quizzes in Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to an unauthorized URL, or accessing other applications during a quiz. If a Canvas quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Canvas quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas. View more at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuX8WoeAycs
Installing LockDown Browser
LockDown Browser must be installed to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test. If LockDown Browser has already been installed, skip the the next section "Taking an Exam".
To install LockDown Browser on your computer:
- Download the LockDown Browser installer at: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=228545938.
- Shut down all other browsers before installing (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.).
- Open the installer and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install.
- IMPORTANT: Once you have installed, be sure to launch the browser and log into Canvas to confirm your machine isn't running any apps that block your access to the secure browser. You may be asked to quit or "kill" certain apps that aren't considered secure.
Taking an exam or quiz:
- Close all programs.
- Launch LockDown Browser.
a. Mac users: Launch "LockDown Browser" from the applications folder.
b. Windows users: Locate the "LockDown Browser" shortcut from the desktop and double-click it.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging), choose Yes when prompted.
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Navigate to the quiz and select the "Take a Quiz" link.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the "Submit Answers" button in clicked.
If you have problems downloading or installing Respondus LockDown Browser, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have problems taking an exam using Respondus LockDown Browser, notify your instructor or call 650-724-7370.