Our Department’s mission is sustained leadership in patient care, in research, and in training leaders of our specialty in an environment that fosters creativity and synergy.
Dermatology at Stanford has a rich and wonderful tradition of excellence, community and service. From its establishment as an independent Department under the leadership of Dr. Eugene Farber in 1959, Dermatology at Stanford has grown tremendously. After several years of stewardship by Dr. Paul Jacobs, Dr. Eugene Bauer, serving first as chair then as Dean of Stanford School of Medicine, brought the Department into the current era of Molecular Medicine, while greatly strengthening its clinical and scientific foundations. From 1995 to 2010, Dr. Alfred Lane energetically built on these strengths. Today, the Department encompasses over 200 faculty members, trainees and staff, delivering outstanding patient care at over 27 total sites, including Stanford’s affiliated partner institutions and the new Stanford Medicine Outpatient Center in Redwood City. The Department’s academic efforts presently contribute the largest number of published high impact discoveries of any Dermatology Department in the world.