Non-US Clinical and/or Research Applicants - VISA

There are special considerations for applicants from foreign countries. In general, we require that individuals be funded from an institution of thier country of origin or the United States. This funding can come from heart associations, governments, academic institutions, and philanthropic or private organizations. Stanford University requires that postdoctoral research trainees be funded at a minimum amount according to PGY level. In some cases, research grant applications are required for such funding and your faculty mentor may be able to help you in developing such a proposal.

Visa Policy for Graduates of International Medical Schools

An International Medical School Graduate (IMG) is defined as a graduate of a medical school located outside of the United States. Stanford Health Care/Stanford Children’s Health supports the use of the clinical (ECFMG sponsored) J-1 Visa for all clinical trainees. Exceptions for individuals with pending green cards or individuals unable to obtain the ECFMG J-1 Visa may be granted. Approval from the Designated Institutional Official (DIO) and SHC Chief Medical Officer is required prior to use of an alternate visa. Stanford uses J-1 visas sponsored by Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. For more information visit Please allow 120 days for the processing of a J-1 visa. Stanford does not sponsor graduates of international medical schools on H-1B visas. Under certain circumstances Graduates of United States medical schools may be eligible for the H-1B visa. This is at the discretion of the program. Approval must be granted by both the program and the DIO. The cost of obtaining the H1-B visa is the responsibility of the residency program training the Resident.


Please review the following Stanford GME links for more information: