Stars of Stanford Medicine
Department of Dermatology
Stanford School of Medicine
The most amazing office administrators combine all the best qualities of air traffic controllers, Walmart greeters, computer troubleshooters and clairvoyants. They keep the office humming and happy.
Michela Pilo, the senior administrative associate in the Department of Dermatology, is just such an administrator, and because of this, her department nominated her for a spirit award.
“She goes above and beyond every day to ensure the success of the department, anticipating problems and intervening before they become issues,” said Justin Ko, MD, MBA, clinical associate professor of dermatology.
Sumaira Aasi, MD, clinical professor of dermatology, said, “Michela is tenacious and does not give up until she has explored every option and found a solution. She doesn’t see the boundaries of her job description, but rather looks for opportunities that allow those around her to work more efficiently. The department is fortunate to have someone whose spirit and work ethic inspires others.”
One of the things Pilo likes about her job is that every day is different. On a daily basis she manages complex executive calendars and the schedules of her 40-plus dermatology faculty and researchers. She makes sure supplies never run out. She solves technical problems with the computer-based systems. She keeps the office neat.
She also likes her co-workers. “There are very smart, humble people here, and it’s hard not to love working with them,” she said.
Before Pilo moved to Stanford four years ago, she worked for 12 years as a jack-of-all-trades at a nonprofit arts foundation. The thing she appreciates about her current position is its healthy work-life balance, which has allowed her to spend more time with her husband and two teenagers, as well as indulge in her passion for Italian cooking.
“Michela is an exemplary department representative, focused on service both inside and outside of Stanford,” said Tyler Hollmig, MD, clinical associate professor of dermatology. “She is so efficient — seemingly does the work of a multitude. And she does it with a smile on her face and a generous spirit.”
Stars of Stanford Medicine
- Promila Rastogi, Director of Transformational Initiatives, Office of Facilities Planning & Management
- Rovina Suri, managing business partner of HR Services
- Mark Gutierrez, Assistant Director, Center of Excellence in Diversity in Medical Education
- Niraj Dangoria, Associate Dean for Facilities and Planning
- Hosna Omarzad, Program Coordinator, Stanford Child Health Research Institute
- Michela Pilo, Administrative Associate, Dermatology
- Misty Mazzara, Educational Program Manager
- Shannon Monahan, Research Analyst, Postdoctoral Affairs
- Kim Osborn, Administrative Director of Clinical Education
- Sheila Dolezal Director of Finance & Administration, OB-GYN
- Nick Love, Medical Student & Artist
- Nick Bondy, Clinical Trial Coordinator
- Nicole Parish & Donna Fullington, Staff BBQ Planners
- Grants and Contracts Group, Lean Team
- Jessica Frank, Education Program Manager
- Tiana Moore, Assistant Director of Graduate Education: Programs & Diversity
- Vivian Jones, Facilities Project Manager
- Beth Duff-Brown, Communications Manager
- Tina Baggott, Clinical Research Nurse Practitioner
- Linda Gibson, Facilities Project Manager & Planner
- Deepa Waghray, Lab Manager
- Randy Soares, Director of Finance & Administration
- Heather Kenna, Director of Faculty Affairs & Strategic Planning
- Ray Jackman, Med Student Advising Coordinator
- Anthony Behn, R&D Engineer