Alumni Engagement and Support
Our distinguished program alumni are changing the face of medicine across the country and the globe. Learn about opportunities for alumni engagement and resources.
The COEDME is proud to offer ongoing support and services to alumni. This page is updated frequently as we improve resources and services. For more information or requests not offered on this page, please email email@example.com with requests, questions, or suggestions.
Send Us Your Updates
Have you participated in a COEDME program like SUMMA, HCOP, SPSP, SSCCPP?
Send us your personal and professional milestones, achievements, and awards using our alumni update form. You will be asked to upload a photo, indicate which COEDME program you were part of, and to provide a personal or professional update.
Letter Service for Alumni
The COEDME is happy to provide letters of evaluation, recommendation, reference, etc., for individuals who have participated in our programs. Some examples include:
- Summer Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP)
- Stanford Premedical Summer Program (SPSP)
- Stanford Summer Commmunity College Premedical Program (SSCCPP)
- Stanford Research Experience for Community College Students (SRECC)
- Leadership Experience for Aspiring Physicians (LEAP)
- Stanford University Minority Medical Alliance (SUMMA)
- Stanford COEDME Faculty and Postdoctoral Fellows
Program and other alumni in good standing are eligible to request letters for a variety of opportunities, including but not limited to:
- Continuing education (Medical School, graduate school, etc.)
When making your request, plan to have the following documents, as relevant to share via upload:
- Personal Statement/Statement of Interest
- Guidelines for letter writers, as applicable
- Links to appropriate websites and instructions for submitting your letter
- A brief statement about the kind of letter you are requesting (character reference, letter of evaluation, recommendation, nomination)
You must indicate a primary author for your letter. You may also designate additional contributors. Do not select individuals who have not had considerable interaction with you (i.e., instruction, mentorship, ongoing contact in some meaningful way).
The turnaround for letters will vary depending on the time of year. To be sure that your letter arrives as you intend, make your request early and select your submission deadline carefully. As a general rule of thumb, we recommend a minimum of two months from the time of request, and likewise, setting earlier submission deadlines for your letter writers to be sure that you have enough time to meet other deadlines.
Soon, we will release an advising appointment option to assist in scheduling advising appointments with COE staff. In the meantime, visit our contact page to make your request.
Donate your time or Expertise
The Center of Excellence in Diversity in Medical Education connects aspiring health professionals to the medical community. Our commitment to sustaining an environment that is conducive to addressing and eliminating health disparities mobilizes people from all walks of life who are interested in serving. Here are just a few ways that you can get involved and reconnect with the community:
- Summer Program Guest Speaker
- 'Profiles of the Medical Community' Evening Speaker
- Health Professional workplace shadowing
- Health Professional informational interview
- Research experiences and opportunities
- Mentorship experiences and opportunities
We understand that time is limited. We will work with you to design a method of involvement that suits your schedule and creates a rewarding experience for you and the aspiring health professionals that you will encounter.
Please complete the following form and we will contact you for detailed information about your interest.
Stanford COE Alumni Advisory Board
The Center of Excellence is committed to supporting our alumni in structured programs and mentorship/advising and through informal interactions. We are seeking alumni across the health professions continuum to shape and improve our work through periodic meetings designed to provide recommendations for ongoing services, events, programs, and activities. If you are interested in joining the alumni advisory board, please complete this brief interest form.
Please make checks payable to “Stanford University” with “Donation to the Center of Excellence in Diversity in Medical Education, School of Medicine” in the memo area.
Mail checks to:
Center of Excellence in Diversity in Medical Education (COEDME) – Donation
1265 Welch Road, MSOB Suite 100, Stanford, CA 94305-5404
To make a donation online:
• Go to “Giving To Stanford – Make a Gift”,
• Under the heading "I want to Support..." select “Centers, Institutes, and More” from the drop-down list.
• From the second drop down list select "Other Designation (specify below)".
• In the box titled "Special Instrutions/Other Designation" provide your directions for your gift and put “Donation to the Center of Excellence in Diversity in Medical Education, School of Medicine”.
• Continue with your donation as instructed until the process is complete.
Stanford Medicine Alumni Association
The Stanford Medicine Alumni Association helps alumni stay in touch and reconnect with their former classmates. The Association also offers broader opportunities to mentor current School of Medicine students.
Learn more about the Stanford Medicine Alumni Association.