How To Apply
All visiting student applicants from LCME or AOA accredited schools within the U.S. and Canada must use the current quarter's Visiting Student Application for Elective Clerkships Form and Dean’s Statement Form when applying to participate in an elective clerkship. Applications will not be considered complete until all required documentation is received. The following summary will help ensure you include required information.
1. Review Eligibility Requirements
2. Identify elective rotations of interest by reviewing the Clerkship Descriptions
3. Check application deadlines
Visiting student applications for each quarter are accepted only during the one month date range listed below. The link to the applicable quarter's application form will become available on the first date of the application period indicated below.
Period & Deadline
|Notified by Email|
|Summer (Period 3)||April 1 - April 30||May 14|
|Autumn (Periods 4, 5, 6)||July 1 - July 31||August 13|
|Winter (Periods 7, 8, 9)||October 1 - October 31||November 15|
|Spring (Periods 10, 11, 12)||January 1 - January 31||February 15|
Students are scheduled on a first come first served basis, based on the application completion date. If all required materials are received, your application will be considered complete as of the form submission date. Students are notified regarding the status of their application, by email, as applications are received by visiting student coordinator staff.
4. Visiting student candidates who wish to apply to elective clerkships that require pre-approval must obtain the pre-approval prior to completing the Visiting Student Application for Elective Clerkships Form. See "Clerkship Descriptions & Required Pre-approvals" to obtain pre-approval.
5. Gather the following required information to upload and attach to your application form:
- Download/print the Dean's Statement Form and have it completed and signed by your Dean/Student Affairs/Registrar’s Office
- Provide a letter or a copy of your mask fit certification to show that you have successfully passed a Respiratory Mask Fit Test within the past 12 months
- Use the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form to provide proof of the following required immunizations and tests:
- Positive titer for Rubella, Mumps, and Measles or 2 MMR vaccines
- Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) vaccine within 10 years from the time of the elective clerkship
- Positive titer or 2 vaccines for Varicella
- Influenza vaccine each fall
- Positive Hepatitis B titer or 3 vaccines
- Negative PPD or QuantiFERON test result for Tuberculosis; tested within 12 months from the last date you will be at Stanford; cleared chest X-ray for positive TB
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19
- Form information verified and signed by your school’s health office or your primary physician
6. During the appropriate application timeframe, complete the Visiting Student Application for Elective Clerkships Form and use the upload capability to include required information. The application form must be received by the associated quarter's application deadline. Please complete the form and indicate your clerkship choices in order of preference, including which period you prefer for each elective, if appropriate.
7. Application fee
Each application requires a non-refundable $200 application fee which will be charged later after the application form has been submitted. Instructions for paying the application fee will be sent by email.
Application Period starts on
If you have questions or concerns send email to visiting-MDemail@example.com.
Due to high volume, please expect to wait at least one week to be notified (by email) that we have received your application. Note: We do not accept applications by fax or email.