How To Apply
All students must use the Visiting Student Application for Elective Clerkships Form and Dean’s Statement Form when applying to participate in an elective clerkship. Applications will not be considered complete until all required documentation is received. The following summary will help ensure you include required information.
1. Review Eligibility Requirements
2. Identify elective rotations of interest by reviewing the Clerkship Descriptions
3. Check application deadlines
Visiting student applications for each quarter are accepted ONLY during the one month date range listed below. Please refer to the dates indicated and apply at that time. Do not submit applications before the first day of each application acceptance period. Any applications received outside the application acceptance period will not be processed.
Period & Deadline
|Notified by Email|
|Summer (Period 3)||April 1 - April 30||May 14|
|Autumn (Periods 4, 5, 6)||July 1 - July 31||August 13|
|Winter (Periods 7, 8, 9)||October 1 - October 31||November 15|
|Spring (Periods 10, 11, 12)||January 1 - January 31||February 15|
Students are scheduled on a first come first served basis, based on the application completion date. If all required materials are received, your application will be considered complete as of the form submission date. Students are notified regarding the status of their application, by email, as applications are received by the Clerkship Office. Review the list of clerkships requiring pre-approval from clerkship directors before applying.
4. Visiting students who wish to apply to any clerkships in the Department of Medicine (clerkships that start with MED) must fill out the Department of Medicine Application Form. Please email your completed form to Nancy D'Amico at email@example.com for pre-clearance before submitting your visiting clerkship application form and other supporting documents to the Clerkship Office.
5. Complete the Visiting Student Application for Elective Clerkships Form and use the upload capability to include required information. The application form must be received by the associated quarter's application deadline. Please complete the form and indicate your clerkship choices in order of preference, including which period you prefer for each elective, if appropriate.
6. Gather the following required information to upload and attach to your application form:
- Download/print the Dean's Statement Form and have it completed and signed by your Dean/Registrar’s Office
- Provide a letter or a copy of your mask fit certification to show that you have successfully passed a Respiratory Mask Fit Test within the last 12 months
- Use the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form to provide proof of the following required immunizations/tests: Rubella, Mumps, Measles, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tdap, Flu, and Tuberculosis (TB tested within 12 months from date you will be at Stanford). The information included on the AAMC form can be verified by your school’s health office or your primary physician.
7. Application fee
Each application requires a non-refundable $200 application fee which will be charged later after the application form has been submitted. Instructions for paying the application fee will be sent by email.
If you have concerns which have not been clarified, you may send an e-mail to Ray Jackman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the large volume of applications, please expect to wait at least one week to be notified (by email) that we have received your application. Note: We do not accept applications by fax or email.