IVS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Where do I apply for a clerkship elective?
- You must apply through the International Visiting Students Online Application link. You may not apply by contacting Stanford doctors, faculty, or program coordinators. Do not email or mail any documents to the IVS office.
Can I take a core clerkship at Stanford?
- No. Core clerkships must be completed before coming to Stanford. International visiting students may only apply for clerkship electives.
I'm not in my final year of medical school. Can I still apply?
- You must be in your final year of medical school for the period you are applying for. If you are a 5th year student applying for a clerkship that will take place during your 6th and final year, this is acceptable. You will not be considered for placement, nor refunded your application fee, if you apply to a period within which you will not be in your final year of medical school.
My home institution doesn't align with Stanford's period dates. Can I customize my schedule for a clerkship elective?
- No. You can only take a clerkship elective for the dates Stanford has listed. There are no exceptions.
What type of VISA do I need?
- Stanford Medicine will not provide advice regarding student's VISA status or requirements. VISA status are determined by the U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs. More information can be found here.
- The IVS participant is not employed nor is an exchange student in this program. Stanford does not provide any information for the student to secure a VISA into the US.
Do all applicants get accepted into a clerkship?
- No. Due to space constraints, there are limited number of international visiting students accepted into each available clerkship elective. Availability is subject to change each clerkship period.
Am I able to rent or buy a bike while at Stanford?
- Yes, you can rent or buy a bike while here at Stanford. A link to the Campus Bike Shop can be found here.