- Chung RJ, Ramirez MR, Best DL, Cohen M, Chamberlain LJ. Advocacy and community engagement: perspectives from pediatric department chairs. J Pediatr. Published online January 11, 2022.
- Ramirez MR, Bruce JS, Ball AJ†, Gambhir S†, Zabrocka K†, Sahak O, Dali S†, Jones KA†, and Chamberlain LJ. Pediatric Departmental Advocacy: Our Experience Addressing the Social Challenges of Coronavirus Disease 2019 and Racism. The Journal of Pediatrics, December 2020, S0022347620314608.
- Steinberg JR†, Bruce JS, Marin-Nevarez P†, Phan K†, Merrell SB, Chamberlain L. What Do Clinical Environments Say to Our Patients? A Replicable Model for Creative Advocacy. American Journal of Public Health 108, no. 11 (November 2018): 1509–10.
- Bruce, Janine S., Monica M. De La Cruz, Katherine Lundberg, Nicholas Vesom, Javier Aguayo, and Sylvia Bereknyei Merrell. “Combating Child Summer Food Insecurity: Examination of a Community-Based Mobile Meal Program.” Journal of Community Health, May 9, 2019
- Nagata J, Chamberlain LJ, Robinson TN. More Hippocrates, less hypocrisy: Eliminate sugar-sweetened beverages from residency lunches. Academic Medicine: February 2015:90 (2): 127-128.
- Patel AI, Cabana MD. Encouraging healthy beverage intake in child care and school settings. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2010 Dec; 22(6):779-84.
- Patel AI, Hampton KE. Encouraging consumption of water in school and child care settings: access, challenges, and strategies for improvement. Am J Public Health. 2011 Aug; 101(8):1370-9.
- Patel AI, Chandran K, Hampton KE, Hecht K, Grumbach JM, Kimura AT, Braff- Guajardo E, Brindis CD. Observations of drinking water access in school food service areas before implementation of federal and state school water policy, California, 2011. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9:E121.
- 10. Beck AL, Patel AI, Madsen K. Trends in sugar-sweetened beverage and 100% fruit juice consumption among California children. Acad Pediatr. 2013 Jul-Aug; 13(4):364-70.
- Patel AI, Hecht K, Hampton KE, Grumbach JM, Braff-Guajardo E, Brindis CD. Tapping into water: key considerations for achieving excellence in school drinking water access. Am J Public Health. 2014 Jul; 104(7):1314-9.
- Ritchie LD, Yoshida S, Sharma S, Patel AI, Homel Vitale E, Hecht K. Drinking Water in California Childcare: Before and After 2011-2012 Beverage Policy. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2015 Jun 4;12:E89.
- Grummon AH, Oliva A, Hampton KE, Patel AI. Association between Student Purchases of Beverages during the School Commute and In-school Consumption of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2015 Dec 12: E220.
- Patel AI, Grummon A, Hampton KE, Oliva A, McCulloch CE, Brindis CD. A Trial of the Efficacy and Cost of Water Delivery Systems in Schools. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2016 Jul;13:160108.
- Hecht AA, Grumbach JM, Hampton KE, Hecht K, Braff-Guajardo E, Brindis CD, McCulloch CE, Patel AI. Validation of a Survey to Examine Drinking Water Access, Practices, and Policies in Schools. Public Health Nutrition. 2017 Dec;20(17):3068-3074
- Long MW, Gortmaker SL, Patel AI, Onufrak SJ, Wilking CL, Cradock AL. Public Perception of and Quality and Support for Required Access to Drinking Water in Schools and Parks. American Journal of Health Promotion. Am J Health Promot. 2018 Jan;32(1):72-74.
- Cooper AY, Altman EA, Hecht CE, Bruce J, Patel AI. Stories of success: A qualitativeexamination of contributors to excellence in school drinking water access in schools. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 Feb 26:1-10
- Patel AI, Hecht CE, Cradock AL, Edwards M, Ritchie L. Drinking Water in the United States: Implications of Water Safety, Access and Consumption. Annual Review of Nutrition. 2020 Sept 40: 345-373.
- Altman EA, Lee KL, Hecht CE, Hampton KE, Moreno G, Patel AI. Drinking Water Access in California Schools: Before and After the Implementation of School Water Policies. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2020; 19:101143.
- Beck A, Martinez S, Patel AI, Fernandez A. Trends in Sugar-sweetened Beverage Consumption among California Children. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 June 23(16): 2864-2869.
- Umunna I, Blacker L, Hecht C, Edwards M, Altman E, Patel AI. Water Safety in California Public Schools Following Implementation of School Drinking Water Policies. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2020 Dec 17: E166.
- Sharma P, Altman EA, Hampton KE, Moreno G, Hecht C, Patel AI. Strength and Comprehensiveness of Drinking Water Language in California School District Wellness Policies. Journal of Nutrition, Education, and Behavior. 2021 Jun.
- Patel AI, Ritchie L. Striving for meaningful policies to reduce sugar-sweetened beverage intake among young children. Pediatrics. 2013 Sep; 132(3):566-8. PMID: 23918894
- Dooley D, Patel AI, Schmidt LA. "Chocolate Milk in Schools" Response Letter to Snacks,Sweetened Beverages, Added Sugars, and Schools: Council on School Health, Committee on Nutrition. Pediatrics, 2015 March 135(3): 575-583.
- Patel AI, Brindis CD. Maximizing School Policies to Reduce Youth Consumption of Sugar Sweetened Beverages. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2016 Jul; 59(1):1-2.
- Patel AI, Schmidt LA. Healthy beverage initiatives in higher education: An untapped strategy for health promotion. Public Health Nutrition. 2020 Oct; 1-3.
- Chamberlain LJ, Hanson ER, Klass P, Schickedanz AB, Nakhasi A, Barnes M, Berger S, Boyd R, Dreyer B, Meyer D, Navsaria D, Rao S and Klein M. Childhood Poverty and Its Impact on Health and Well-Being: Enhancing Training for Learners Across the Medical Education Continuum. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Apr;16(3 Suppl):S155-62.
Primary Care Redesign
- Chamberlain LJ, Kelly N. Child Advocacy in the 21st Century. Adv Pediatr. 2015 Aug;62(1):91-103.
- Beck A, Tschudy M, Coker T, Mistry K, Cox J, Gitterman B, Chamberlain L, Grace A, Hole M, Klass P, Lobach K, Ma C, Navsaria D, Northrip K, Sadof M, Shah A, Fierman A. Determinants of Health and Pediatric Primary Care Practices. Pediatrics. 2016 Mar;137(3):e20153673.
- Beck A, Tschudy M, Coker T, Mistry K, Cox J, Gitterman B, Chamberlain L, Grace A, Hole M, Klass P, Lobach K, Ma C, Navsaria D, Northrip K, Sadof M, Shah A, Fierman A. Determinants of Health and Pediatric Primary Care Practices. Pediatrics. 2016 Mar;137(3):e20153673. Advocacy primary care redesign
- Fierman A, Beck AF, Chung EK, Tschudy MM, Coker TR, Mistry KB, Siegel B, Chamberlain LJ, Conroy K, Federico SG, Flanagan PJ, Garg A, Gitterman BA, Grace AM, Gross R, Hole MK, Klass P, Kraft CA, Kuo AA, Lewis G, Lobach KS, Long D, Ma CT, Messito MJ, Navsaria D, Northrip KD, Osman C,Sadof MD, Schickedanz A, Cox JE. Redesigning Health Care Practices to Address Childhood Poverty. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Apr;16(3 Suppl):S136-46.
- Patel AI, Sanchez-Vaznaugh E, Woodward-Lopez G. The Importance of Body Mass Index Assessment and Surveillance in Schools. JAMA Pediatrics. 2021 Feb 22. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.0016. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33616644