About the Program
What is the SASS Program?
The goal of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) at Stanford Health Care is to optimize the utilization of antimicrobial agents and patient outcomes while minimizing unintended consequences of antimicrobial usage.
Download flyer below:
Who are the antimicrobial stewards?
We are a 7-member team consisting of 3 physicians and 4 pharmacists. We work closely with clinicians, Infection Control, Quality, and the Antimicrobial Subcommittee.
How can I help?
Your practice is important in curbing the development of MDROs and the rise of C.diff infections.
When you prescribe antibiotics:
- Draw appropriate cultures prior to starting antibiotics
- Use published guidelines and the antibiogram to make informed decisions – Lane Library Medical Data
- Document your decision-making!
- Commit to an antibiotic TIMEOUT @ 48-72 hours after starting empiric abx
1. True infection? 4. Right route?
2. Right antibiotic? 5. Right duration?
3. Right dose?