BioSci Careers is the only career center on campus allowing you to check out career and professional development books. Our books and online resources highlight a wide range of career topics, including career exploration, transitions, job sectors, professional development, and preparation for jobs in Academic, Biotechnology, Healthcare and many other sectors relevant to our PhD/MD/MS students and postdoctoral trainees.
We are pleased to announce two different ways to access book resources:
Per popular demand, we now offer online books through the Career Library.
To access hard copy books, visit (lane.stanford.edu). To find titles:
- Search “BioSci Careers” on Lane Search
- OR searching the “Course Reserves” section linked on the main page of the Lane Library website
- complete a Basic Search for items from the Course: “BioSci Careers 000: SoM Career Center”
The following online resources are available to Stanford University students, trainees, staff and faculty. They provide career overviews, application samples, company details, job/internship postings and advice to both US and international job seekers and aid in the exploration of potential career fields.
Career Insider provides information on top employers and jobs within 19 different industries. Those most relevant include: finance, consulting, health, government/non-profit, energy, marketing, media, education, high tech, and law. (Click “Receive Your Password Now” and a password will be sent to your Stanford email account for log-in purposes)
The archive is a curated collection of past career presentations, including guest speakers and discussion panels. Both videos and slides are available, sorted by industry focus. See what you may have missed here.
- Your Queer Career, Riley B. Folds
- Trans in the Workplace: The Complete Guide to the New Authenticity for Employers and Diverse Professionals, Vanessa Sheridan
- The Book of Pride: LGBTQ Heros Who Changed the World, Mason Funk
- Human Rights Campaign: LGBTQ Employee Resources
- The Value of LGBT Equality in the Workplace
- Leslie B. Vosshall: How to give a chalk talk for a tenure-track position in the biomedical sciences
- Ashley Rowland and Christina Szalinski: Preparing Your Academic Chalk Talk
- Charles Brenner: Demystifying the Chalk Talk
- Recommendations for Skype Interview Preparation
- Science Careers 2017 Career Handbook
- Top Salaries for Class of 2016 Advanced Degree Grads
- Purpose at Work: The Largest Global Study on the Role of Purpose in the Workforce
- Biomedical Research Workforce Working Group Report
- 2014 National Sciene Foundation Doctorate Recipients From U.S. Universities
- NPA Postdoctoral Core Competencies
- Graduate Professional Development Framework
- Pathways professional development podcasts from IU School of Medicine