Be Kind to Yourself!
Dreading the deluge of New Year’s resolutions? What if I told you there’s a gentler approach? Go ahead, take a deep breath! You don’t have to change everything. With a few small changes, you can enhance your body’s natural ability to do what it does best. Your body is designed to detox 24/7, already. You simply need to support your body’s natural cleansing by upping your vegetable intake, especially dark leafy greens and cruciferous veggies (broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage…).
Besides, going on a juice cleanse or raw food detox program in the winter is not advised - what your body needs is to be kept warm and cozy (think: hibernation). Do yourself a favor and don’t go overboard, or shock your body with cold and raw foods in January! Save that type of detoxification for spring and summer when nature’s superfoods are in season to assist in the right way at the right time.
After all the heavy holiday meals, it’s time to give yourself and your digestion a break!
You may be thinking: “how can I add these all-important cruciferous veggies into my new year?” Your prescription, or non-resolution is simple:
- Prep those veggies as soon as you get home from the market, so you’re sure to use them up. You’ll have no excuses, because here are two quick and simple recipes. Garlicky Leafy Greens and Brandon’s Roasted Broccoli . Watch me prep kale and broccoli.
- Garnish everything with health-packed herbs, such as flat leaf parsley, cilantro or mint.
- Dollop an herb drizzle, such as My Everything Drizzle , which is good on, well everything, like roasted veggies, soups, chicken fish or salads!
- Make some nourishing, naturally cleansing soups -- warm, satisfying, full of lots of veggies, and nutrient-rich broth. Try this cruciferous rich Clean Green Soup or Kale Soup with Coconut and Lime.
- Cook with warming spices. Try roasting your some winter squash or sweet potatoes with some cinnamon, ginger, allspice and red pepper flakes (with olive oil and sea salt!).
- Make portable foods. When you have delicious, nourishing food on hand, you’re less likely to hit the drive through. The Triple Greens Frittata (below) is the ultimate any time food! Warm, cold or room temp, this frittata is the best make-ahead meal. Have a slice for breakfast. Protein and greens, check! Make a frittata sandwich with an herb drizzle and your favorite toast.
Take a little time to reflect: if you are going to make changes, how are you going to make them sustainable? Instead of just cleansing for 30 days and then… what?... Contemplate some of these culinary changes to integrate into your life and soon it’s not even a thing anymore. Arduous tasks don’t stick; but a few easy tweaks to incorporate more vegetables into your week could actually make life easier. Bring a pretty, seasonal veg salad and soup for lunch to the office; include veg at breakfast; refresh with a steaming cup of broth in place of that extra cup of coffee. It’s a more gentle approach to winter nourishment.
Don’t feel bad if you can’t stick to these suggestions 100% - none of us are perfect. The old you is just fine! Keep your culinary compass handy to guide you in taking care of and nourishing you. Happy New Year!