Education & Training
The Serious Illness Care Program offers a 3-hour communication skills training.
We address the gap in clinician proficiency to have high quality advance care planning conversations with patients that have a serious illness. Our 3-hour communication skills training teaches how to conduct advance care planning (ACP) discussions using the Serious Illness Conversation Guide. The small-group session includes didactics and skills practice with a standardized patient.
Types of participants
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Medical Students
- Social Workers
- Rehab Clinicians
- Components of the Serious Illness Conversation Guide
- How to attend to patient and family emotional responses
- Communication skills employed in advance care planning discussions
- Demonstrating empathy during these discussions
- Assessing patient's illness understanding and preferences for information
- Delivering prognostic information to patients
- Exploring patient's goals and values for their care
- Managing provider and patient anxiety in the discussion
For more information or to request a training consultation, please contact email@example.com.