Victoria Liou-Johnson, PhD
VA Polytrauma Post Doctoral Fellow
Dr. Victoria Liou-Johnson, is a licensed clinical psychologist. She earned her doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology at Palo Alto University, with an emphasis in Clinical Neuropsychology. In addition, Dr. Liou-Johnson is a VA Polytrauma Postdoctoral Fellow. Previous to that, she also earned a Master of Science in Clinical Psychology with emphasis in Clinical Gerontology from Notre Dame de Namur University.
- She received her predoctoral, clinical neuropsychology training in the Departments of Psychiatry and Neurology at Kaiser Permanente in Redwood City, at the University of California, San Francisco's Memory and Aging Center in the Department of Neurology, and UCSF's Epilepsy Clinic in the Department of Neurosurgery.
- She is an alum of the VA National MIRT Advanced Fellowship Director on Mental Health, Neurocognition, and Treatment in Older Adults at the VA Palo Alto.
- Dr. Liou-Johnson completed her clinical internship training at the University of Colorado School of Medicine in integrated primary care and neurocognitive assessment in a residential substance use treatment center.
- She received her clinical postdoctoral residency training at the VA Pacific Islands Healthcare System in the outpatient PTSD Clinic, Community Living Center, and outpatient neuropsychology clinic.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology & Master of Science in Clinical Psychology
- Pacific Graduate School of Psychology, Palo Alto University (APA Accredited).
- Area of Emphasis: Neuropsychology, consistent with Division 40 requirements
- Dissertation Title: The Association of Computer Usage with Cognitive Function in Older Adults
- Advisor: Sherry Beaudreau, PhD, ABPP
- Master of Science in Clinical Psychology and Clinical Gerontology
- Notre Dame de Namur University
- Thesis Title: Attitudes Toward Geriatric Medicine from Primary Care Providers
- Dr. Liou-Johnson’s older adult research has focused on the correlates of physical health and cognition, effects of mood symptoms on cognition, associations of technological interventions on cognition, neurodegenerative disease, and long-term cognitive effects of traumatic brain injury. She has a special interests in gender effects on aging, and Asian and indigenous populations.
Specialized Training & Certifications
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists Credential
- National training, consultation, and certified provider in Cognitive Processing Therapy
- National training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia
- Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality (CAMS) Certification
- Tobacco Treatment Specialist Certification (University of Massachusetts)
- Baby & Me Tobacco Free Facilitator Certification
Poster Presentations & Professional Workshops
American Psychological Association
Social determinants of health may contribute to poorer outcomes for women veterans with TBI.
Congress International Psychogeriatric Association
Worry and depressive symptoms are associated with subjective memory complaints.
Stanford Medical School Neuroscience Forum
Computer use & executive functioning cognitively normal older adults Aging, Demographics, Memory Study (ADAMS).
Social Work Practice with the Aged
Special Issues for older Lesbian Gay Bi Transgender (LGBT) women -seminar presentation.
American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry
A tale of two outcomes in older adult substance use treatment - a clinical case presentation.
International Congress Psychogeriatric Association
User satisfaction of vacuum pump treatment for erectile dysfunction in middle & older-aged in primary care.
Annual Meeting International Neuropsychological Society
White matter integrity mediates cardio fitness & processing speed.
Western Psychological Association Convention
Alcohol-Energy Drink Use Among Asian American and White Students.
American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry
Anxiety symptom clusters predict sleep quality in geriatric populations.
International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology
Computer usage & executive function in cognitively normal older adults.
Patient Centered Medical Home Learning Collaborative
Workshop - Cultivating Wellness in Your Professional Role
International Congress Psychogeriatric Association
History of TBI & APOE associated with cognitive impairment & dementia
Beaudreau, S. A., Van Moorleghem, K., Dodd, S. M., Liou-Johnson, V., Suresh, M., & Gould, C. E. (2021). Satisfaction with a Vacuum Constriction Device for Erectile Dysfunction among Middle-Aged and Older Veterans. Clinical Gerontologist, 1-9. doi: 10.1080/07317115.2020.1823922
Journals of Gerontology
Gould, C. E., Spira, A. P., Liou-Johnson, V., Cassidy-Eagle, E., Kawai, M., et al., Beaudreau, S. A. (2018). Association of anxiety symptom clusters with sleep quality and daytime sleepiness. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, 73(3), 413-420. doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbx020
Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Gould, C. E., O’Hara, R., Cassidy-Eagle, E.L., Liou-Johnson, V., & Beaudreau, S. A. (2015) Anxiety Symptom Clusters Predict Sleep Quality. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 23(3), S144-S145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2014.12.150
Liou-Johnson, V. & Johnson, B. (2020). Paroxetine Use with Older Adults. In C. Lepkowsky (Ed.), The Pharmacological Guide to Paroxetine. New York, Nova Science Publishers.
Liou-Johnson V., Van Moorleghem K., Mills B., O’Hara R. (2017). Aging, Inequalities, and Health. In: Pachana N.A. (eds) Encyclopedia of Geropsychology. Springer, Singapore.
Borish S., Brunet H., Liou-Johnson V., Kramer J. (2017). Encephalopathy. In: Pachana N.A. (eds) Encyclopedia of Geropsychology. Springer, Singapore.