Unit 6 - What are JUULs & Other Pod-Based Systems (e.g., PHIX, Suorin, Blu)?
We have been informed that some companies that are in the business of selling products that contain tobacco and/or nicotine had either included links to our Toolkit in their marketing materials, or implied that The Stanford Tobacco Prevention Toolkit or the faculty and staff involved in creating it have some affiliation with them. This is simply not true. We are committed to preventing use of tobacco products, e-cigarettes, and any other tobacco- and nicotine-related product and we do not receive any funding from them or otherwise collaborate with them.
- Obtain accurate knowledge about pod-based systems (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) and how they are made to work like a cigarette
- Identify marketing strategies employed by pod-based system manufacturers (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) to attract new customers
- Learn about the effects that nicotine in pod-based systems (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) has on the adolescent body and brain
- Identify specific marketing strategies that the pod-based system manufacturers (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) use that may increase use among adolescents
- Understand the appeal of pod-based systems (e.g., JUUL, PHIX, Suorin) among adolescents in order to counter the appeal
Teachers should go through each unit and download the PowerPoint for class presentation. Teachers should also download the accompanying activities for in-class activities. Speakers' notes are embedded in the PowerPoint. Activities are meant to be printed for students before class begins. Each Unit has a Kahoot! Quiz linked below and can be used as a pre and post quiz to see how much students know before and after instruction. Discussion Guides found below can be assigned as take-home assignments.
Lesson 6.1: Pod-Based Systems 101
Pod-Based System Crash Course - COMING SOON!
A Quick Guide