Traveling Scholars



Clarifications/changes in red were the most recently implemented changes.

  1. Traveling Scholars is a distinct program available through all Scholarly Concentrations.

  2. Each student is eligible to apply for travel and can receive a stipend up to $2,500 for travel and VISAs (not to include lodging, food, supplies/equipment) in addition to the MS fellowship (1 FTEQ)*. We will also cover all required/highly suggested immunizations and medications that our travel physicial recomments.

    If the $2,500 stipend is not completely used on the first travel project, the student may apply to use the balance remaining on future, approved MedScholars travel projects.

    Students who are doing a traveling project in the local Bay area will be eligible to receive ONLY up to $500 for travel, unless at the time of applying there is an attachment justifying extra travel needs not to exceed $2,500.

    *$12,000 fellowship is for those students matriculating before 2010. For those that matriculated in 2010 (or later) please see the new tuition chart.

    Note that receipts are due no later than 30 days after your return. Please attach an itemized list of expenses including your name, student id number, e-mail, and then attach the receipts. Submit to the MedScholars Program Coordinator.

  3. Traveling projects are considered at all deadlines. It is advisable to apply two quarters in advance of expected travel quarter, in order to assure time for securing needed compliance (e.g. human subject institutional approval must be approved at Stanford and at away-site).

  4. Traveling Scholars are awarded to:

    1. research and study involving travel away from Stanford for the duration of the project (minimum 6 weeks), with a preference for destinations outside the U.S. and projects involving cross-cultural experiences. Projects typically involve unique populations or rare materials not found in this location.

    2. research projects conducted either partly or wholly at Stanford focused on an application off site, again with a preference for projects outside the U.S. and involving cross-cultural experiences. Even though the research aspect of these projects is conducted at Stanford, the student must engage actively at the away site in some manner (e.g. needs assessment, presentation or implementation).

  5. Traveling Scholars are evaluated in the same manner as resident scholars, with additional major requirements related to the travel site:

    1. Students must have an on-site advisor in addition to a Stanford faculty advisor. The on-site advisor must have read the proposal, support it and confirm in the letter that resources are available to the student to complete the project. If the project involves a local population, the student must provide specifics on how the interests and needs of the on-site population are being met through the research project.

    2. Students must follow and complete the New International Traveling Scholars Information Collection/Requirements form.

    3. Students must complete the University Travel Release and Waiver form, which includes the agreement to acquire health insurance equivalent to Cardinal Care.

  6. Students are discouraged from, but can, travel to countries with State Department warning alerts. However, we do not guarantee Medical Scholars funding for projects that are excessively risky to the student's well-being. If funding is given to a student to travel to a warning alert area, it is at their own risk. Further stipulations may also be required for funding as needed.

  7. Pre-Travel Tips

    • Agencies that specialize in obtaining visas for travel abroad (for a fee): Should you require assistance, these agencies are recommended by the University travel agent for American and international students:
    • International Student Identity Cards (ISIC) is an internationally recognized student identity card which can provide discounts on travel, accommodation, or museum tickets, for example. ISIC cards are available for purchase at Bechtel International Center.
    • Costs for medical care or evacuation can be very expensive.  If additional coverage is needed,, is one website that could provide support.
  8. Travel Scholars – Emergencies while abroad info

    While an emergency overseas can be a scary event, remember you are not alone. Reach out and ask for assistance.

    • If you are seriously sick or injured, seek immediate medical help at the closest medical facility. If medical treatment is not available nearby, call your emergency travel assistance provider.
    • For those students enrolled in Cardinal Care:
      Call On Call International: 1-(603) 328-1956
    • If you have purchased other travel insurance/assistance (i.e. I-SOS, Medex) call the overseas operator as listed on your card.
    • For those students not enrolled in Cardinal Care or other travel assistance program but did purchase a US-issued ISIC card:
      Call Travel Guard Assist: 1-(715) 342-4104
    • If you are facing a non-medical emergency but are in present or imminent danger, contact the local police (if applicable) and/or the appropriate number above to arrange for assistance on your behalf.
    • In cases of emergency:
    • Call your emergency contact person immediately.  Follow-up with the MedScholars Program Coordinator (650-723-7817) once things have calmed down.
    • Call the Stanford campus operator at 1-650-322-8721 (24-hour emergency activation hotline).  The operator will notify the personnel assigned to international emergencies.

Footer Links: