Education & Training
On This Page
Intensive Course in Clinical Research – Study Design & Performance
The Spectrum Intensive Course in Clinical Research (ICCR) is a one-week immersion course for new clinical investigators, senior residents, fellows, and junior faculty (Assistant Professor and below from any faculty line) interested in pursuing careers in clinical and translational research and who have not had formal training in clinical research as part of a Masters or PhD degree program in Public Health or Epidemiology.
Students spend five days and four late evenings immersed in all aspects of research study design and performance. The format combines didactics with intense group/team activities focused on practical issues in clinical research design—from selection of a researchable study question through actual writing of a research proposal. Lectures and panel discussions are presented by an accomplished faculty of Stanford clinical researchers and key leaders from the Stanford community And every presentation includes a discussion of relevant issues.
- ICCR explores career advancement, time management, and challenges of clinical trials research; discussion of individual projects and opportunities for collaboration with peers and mentors.
- ICCR inspires networking across departments with an extended network of colleagues, and provide resources to achieve successful clinical and translational research projects.
- Course objectives:
- Learn to understand the different types of designs for clinical research and their advantages and disadvantages for addressing different clinical issues.
- Conceptualize a clinical decision problem as a researchable question and choose an appropriate design.
- Efficiently use resources such as statistical and data management consultation to appropriately size the study.
- Understand and be able to choose among the various types of endpoints and analyses.
- Anticipate and address ethical issues that may arise as a result of the study design and elicit valid informed consent.
For more information on how to attend ICCR, including nomination and project proposal guidelines, please click here.
The next course will be held on September 11 – 15, 2017.
Nomination Deadline: July 7, 2017
Participant Confirmation: Within 2 days of notification
Participant Proposals: August 4, 2017
Certificate of Completion