1. School Health
The Role of School Nurses: Definition
The National Association of School Nurses defines the goals of school nursing as to "advance the well-being, academic success and life-long achievement of students" (NASN, 2010) and identifies seven core roles school nurses fulfill to foster student health and educational success: providing direct care to students, providing leadership for the provision of health services, providing screening and referral for health conditions, promoting a healthy school environment, promoting health through education, serving in a leadership role for health policies and programs, and serving as a liaison between school personnel, family, health care professionals and the community.
School Health and School-Based Health Care
School Nurse Organizations and Resources
- National Association of School Nurses (NASN)
- NASN Research
- NASN Policy Advocacy Efforts: "Every Child Deserves a School Nurse"
- California School Nurses Organization
- "Unlocking the Potential of School Nursing: Keeping Children Healthy, In School, and Ready to Learn", Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, August 2010
- Nurses for a Healthier Tomorrow
- School Nurse.com