In June 2012, the ABS approved a new requirement for assessment of operative and clinical performance as part of a broader ongoing effort to standardize the knowledge and skills expected of general surgery residents.
- Applicants who complete their general surgery residency training in the 2015-2016 academic year or thereafter will be required to obtain during residency at least 6 operative performance assessments and 6clinical performance assessments, conducted by their program director or other faculty members.
- When signing an individual's application, the program director will be asked to attest that these 12 assessments have been completed. However the applicant bears ultimate responsibility for ensuring these assessments are performed while in residency. The completed assessment forms will not be collected by the ABS.
- Posted below are evaluation forms that may be used to fulfill this requirement. While no specific form is mandated, programs are strongly encouraged to use either these forms or an equally validated form. Please note that some of these assessments may be done via Medhub by an attending.
Medhub has the following available for faculty to use:
- Clinical/CEX forms labeled as CAMEO (Clinical Assessment & Management Examination) & Mini CEX
- Operative-Lap Surgery Assessment & Open Surgery Assessment