NIH Extramural Loan Repayment Programs
Stanford LRP Submission Process
NIH Loan Repayment program for residents, postdoctoral fellows, medical fellows, basic life science staff/research associates, Instructors, Clinical Instructors, and Assistant Professors (with UTL, MCL, NTLR, and CE faculty appointments).
The LRPs counteract that financial pressure by repaying up to $50,000 annually of a researcher's qualified educational debt in return for a commitment to engage in NIH mission-relevant research
There are eight LRPs, five for researchers not employed by NIH (Extramural) and three for researchers employed by NIH (Intramural).
Research funding from NIH is not required to participate in the Extramural LRPs, and Extramural and Intramural LRP awardees may apply for subsequent, competitive renewal awards as long as they meet Program eligibility.
Timeline and Application Process
Extramural LRP applications will be accepted from September 1 through November 15, 2019.
All LRP applications must be submitted electronically using the NIH LRP Website.
Important: the business official is your department's Director of Finance and Administration (DFA).
Find your department’s DFA here.
Please be sure to allow sufficient time for your DFA to countersign your application. See overview and roles below.
ROLES: applicants / referees / business officials
All 3 roles: Applicants, Referees and Business Officials, need NIH eCommons IDs.
How to obtain your NIH eCommons ID: Contact your Research Process Manager (RPM) in the Research Management Group (RMG) to set up an NIH eCommons ID if you don’t already have one.
Grant Writing Academy – Seminar
Guide to the NIH Extramural Loan Repayment Program
Date: Tuesday, October 8, 2019
Time: 2:30pm to 3:30pm
Location: Alway M112 - Alway Building, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, CA 94305
Purpose: Did you know the NIH Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is designed to reduce the financial burdens associated with educational debt? The LRP’s goal is to retain talented trainees in careers that conduct biomedical or biobehavioral research. Topics to be covered will include applicant eligibility requirements, application details and timeline, as well as resources for preparing your application. Following the seminar, a panel discussion with LRP awardees will provide personal insights and Q&A.
Eligible positions: Residents, postdoctoral fellows, medical fellows, basic life science staff/research associates, Instructors, Clinical Instructors, and Assistant Professors (with UTL, MCL, NTLR, and CE faculty appointments) who meet the NIH LRP eligibility criteria.
Note: researchers who have dual Stanford University & VA appointments are eligible to apply for the NIH LRP if they have less than a 5/8ths VA appointment, such that the remainder of their appointment is with Stanford University. The “business official” for their applications is the DFA for their Stanford department.
You may submit only one LRP application to NIH in any fiscal year, even though your research may be appropriate for more than one of the programs.
Citizenship - you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident of the U.S. by the LRP start date.
Qualifying Degree - you must possess an M.D., Ph.D., Pharm.D., Psy.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D., D.P.M., D.C., N.D., O.D., D.V.M., or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited institution, with one exception: the Contraception and Infertility Research LRP.
See the NIH Eligibility and Programs for additional information on qualified educational debt, domestic, nonprofit research funding, qualified research, information for current NRSA fellowship recipients, as well as an overview of non-eligible individuals.
Each LRP program may have additional eligibility criteria; please refer to the following detailed NIH Notices:
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Clinical Researchers (LRP-CR) (NOT-OD-19-116)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Pediatric Research (LRP-PR) (NOT-OD-19-117)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Health Disparities Research (LRP-HDR) (NOT-OD-19-118)
- Extramural Clinical Research Loan Repayment Program for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds (LRP-IDB) (NOT-OD-19-119)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Contraception and Infertility Research (LRP-CIR) (NOT-OD-19-120)
STANFORD SUBMISSION PROCESS
- Review the above eligibility section.
- Identify the LRP program to which you wish to apply. Click on “Show Details” for more information.
- Go to the LRP Online Application System and log in with your Commons ID and password to begin the application process.
- Go to the Referees/Recommenders page.
- Click the Reference Letter Submission button.
- You will need to enter the Application Tracking Code (please obtain from the applicant).
Business Officials - your Department's DFA
- Your department's Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) or his/her delegate has the authority to sign as the Business Official for the applicants from the department. Find your department’s DFA here.
- Department of Medicine LRP applicants: use you division manager as your business official. Find your division manager here.
- The Business Official requires a NIH eCommons ID.
- If you or your delegate doesn't already have an eCommons ID, please contact your Research Process Manager (RPM) to have one created.