Departmental Innovator Grant Program
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Small Grant Program, launched in 2015, was designed to promote research and collaborative scholarly projects advancing the academic interests of our faculty and the strategic themes of our department. Rebranded as the Departmental Innovator Grant Program in 2018, awards include Pilot Studies in novel scientific areas that have high potential to lead to competitive grant applications and Small Scholarly Projects related to education, clinical care, community outreach, and health systems issues, such as health care quality.
Funded Projects by Year
- Manpreet Singh, M.D., M.S. (PI), Nolan Williams, M.D.; Hugh Brent Solvason, Ph.D., M.D., Keith Sudheimer, Ph.D., and Antonio Hardan, M.D.
Evaluating the efficacy and tolerability of targeted transcranial magnetic stimulation in youth
- Richard Shaw, M.D. (PI), Booil Jo, Ph.D., and LaTrice L. Dowtin, Ph.D.
Group-Based Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (TF-CBT) to Prevent Psychological Stress in Parents of Premature Infants
- Peter van Roessel, M.D., Ph.D., (PI), Booil Jo, Ph.D., Chi-Ming Chen, Ph.D., and Carolyn Rodriguez, M.D., Ph.D.
Vestibular Neuromodulation of Insight: A Pilot Study in Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders
- Luis de Lecea, Ph.D. (PI), Jeremy Borniger, Ph.D., Andrew Krystal, M.D., (UCSF), Aric Prather, Ph.D., (UCSF), and Brice Gaudilliere, M.D., Ph.D. (Anesthesia)
Linking Brain to Immunity via Deep Brain Stimulation and Mass Cytometry
- Andrea Goldstein-Piekarski, Ph.D. (PI) and Nolan Williams, M.D.
Sleep as a Mechanistic Target and Predictive Biomarker of an accelerated rTMS Intervention for Depression and Suicidality
- John Leikauf, M.D. (PI), Leanne Williams, Ph.D., and Carlos Correa, BS
- Daryn Reicherter, M.D. (PI) and Ryan Matlow, Ph.D.
Expansion of Trauma Mental Health Outcomes Data Collection in Survivors for Advocacy in Three Different Legal Contexts
- Jong Yoon, M.D. (PI) and Daniel Jurafsky
Developing Automated Methods for Characterizing Speech and Language Disturbances in Schizophrenia
Small Scholarly Projects
Thalia Robakis, M.D., Ph.D. (PI) and Jane Paik Kim, Ph.D.
Maternal attachment style in relation to parenting practices and child development
- Mahendra Bhati, M.D. (PI), and Amit Etkin, M.D., Ph.D.
Detecting and inhibiting fear with responsive neurostimulation (RNS) of the human amygdala
- Kim Bullock, M.D. (PI), Jeremy N. Bailenson, Ph.D., and Andrea Stevenson Won, Ph.D.
A Randomized Controlled Trial of Virtual Reality Delivered Mirror Visual Feedback for Functional Neurological Disorder
- James R. Jacobs, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Keith Sudheimer, Ph.D.
The Neurophysiology of Secrets
- Agnieszka Kalinowski, M.D., Ph.D. (PI), Alexander Urban, Ph.D., Ruth O'Hara, Ph.D., Jacob Ballon, M.D., M.P.H., Laramie Duncan, Ph.D., and Steve Ho, B.S.
Leveraging Metabolomics and Genomics of Dopamine Regulation for Precision Medicine to Treat Psychiatric Disorders
- Adam Miner, Psy.D. (PI), Stewart Agras, M.D., Bruce Arnow, Ph.D., and Nigam Shah, M.B.B.S., Ph.D.
Natural language processing to detect features of successful psychotherapy
- Kristine Luce, Ph.D. (PI), Tali Ball, Ph.D. (PI), and Leanne Williams, Ph.D.
Personalized trans-diagnostic group therapy for anxiety: Program development and quality improvement
- Jamie Zeitzer, Ph.D. (PI), Daniel Jin Blum, Ph.D., Fiona Barwick, Ph.D., and Emmanuel During, M.D.
Restless Leg Syndrome: Does it start with a Gut Feeling?
*Made possible by a generous donor
Small Scholarly Projects
- Steve Adelsheim, M.D. (PI), and Nina Vasan, M.D.
The Hope and Hype of Technology Ventures in Transforming Brain Health
- Belinda Bandstra, M.D., M.A. (PI), Mario Mercurio, Yasmin Owusu, M.D., and Ripal Shah, M.D., M.P.H.
Recruitment and Retainment of Underrepresented Minority Faculty and Residents
- Fiona Barwick, Ph.D. (PI), and Kevin Lee, M.D.
Student Sleep Health Pilot Project
- Ryan Matlow, Ph.D. (PI), and Flint M. Espil, Ph.D.
Implementing Evidence-Based Mental Health Care in East Palo Alto Schools
- Lawrence McGlynn, M.D. (PI), Ripal Shah, M.D., M.P.H., and Neir Eshel, M.D., Ph.D.
LGBTQ Mental Health: Opportunities for Research and Practice
- Norah Simpson, Ph.D. (PI), and Scott Kutscher, M.D.
Development and Evaluation of a Sleep Health Educational Resource for Stanford Student Athletes
- Shannon Sullivan, M.D. (PI), and Michelle Cao, D.O.
Home-Based Early Detection of Disrupted Sleep in Children with Risk Factors for Sleep Disordered Breathing
- Mytilee Vemuri, M.D., M.B.A. (PI)
Addressing Cultural factors affecting Professional Fulfillment within the Department of Psychiatry Outpatient Clinics
- Sarah Adler, Psy.D.
Analysis of Measurement Based Care Data to Inform Clinical Decision-Making: Building the Model
- Cara Bohon, Ph.D.
Abnormal Perceptual Processing as a Maintaining Mechanism of Body-Image Disturbance in Adolescents with Anorexia Nervosa: Identifying a Novel Treatment Target
- Weidong Cai, Ph.D.
Dynamic Brain States and Connectivity in Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Its Relation to Intra-Individual Variability and Clinical Symptoms
- Erin Cassidy-Eagle, Ph.D.
Activate! Training Primary Care Providers in Behavioral Activation Therapy for Older Adults with Depression
- Grace Gengoux, Ph.D.
Parent Training to Enhance Social Success for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Hadi Hosseini, Ph.D.
Integrating Virtual Reality and NIRS Neurofeedback for Improving Executive Function in ADHD
- Ranak Trivedi, Ph.D.
Determining the Interdependence of Stress and Physical Activity Among Patients and Their Informal Caregivers
- Debra Safer, M.D.
Assessing the Feasibility and Acceptability of a Parent-Based Intervention to Reduce the Risk of Obesity in Children of Weight Loss Surgery Patients
Small Scholarly Projects
- Sepideh Bajestan, M.D., Ph.D.
Patient-Centered Clinical Neuroscience Training to Facilitate the Communication with Challenging Neuropsychiatric Patients
- Victoria Cosgrove, Ph.D.
Assessing Need for Psychosocial Support in Families with a Child Undergoing Treatment in the Bass Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Diseases at LPCH
- Christina Tara Khan, M.D., Ph.D.
Integrating Mental Health into Primary Care in Rural Guatemala Through Task Shifting to Public Health Clinic Physicians
- Philippe Mourrain, Ph.D.
Pharmacological and Genetic Interrogation of Circuit Dynamics in the Parkinsonian Brain
- Oxana Palesh, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Ingrid Oakley-Girvan, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Does Improving Sleep Modify Potentially Relevant Clinical Biomarkers Among Breast Cancer Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy?
- Jennifer Phillips, Ph.D.
Development of a Measure of Social Motivation in Autism
- Jacob Ballon, M.D.
Open Label, Flexible-Dose, Adjunctive Bromocriptine for Patients with Schizophrenia and Metabolic Dysfunction
- Michele Berk, Ph.D. & Moira Kessler, M.D.
Pilot Test of a DBT Parenting Intervention for Youth Who Have Recently Attempted Suicide
- Kim Bullock, M.D.
Virtual Reality for Functional Neurological Symptom Disorder
- Tamar Green, M.D.
The Brain in Noonan Syndrome: a Pilot Study
- Manish Saggar, Ph.D.
Deciphering “Ongoing” Cognition Using Concurrent Multimodal Neuroimaging and Continuous Multitask Paradigm
- Nolan Williams, M.D.
Comparison of the Clinical Efficacy and Change in Resting State Functional Connectivity of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation versus Theta-Burst Stimulation over Left DLPFC in Resistant Depression
Small Scholarly Projects
- Sarah Adler, Psy.D.
Addressing Perceived Barriers to Implementation of Measurement Based Care: A Pilot Feasibility and Acceptability Study
- Erin Cassidy Eagle, Ph.D. & Laura Dunn, M.D.
Older Adults Access to Quality Mental Health Services
- Angie Chwen-Yuen Chen, M.D.
Safe Reduction of Chronic High Dose Opioid and Benzodiazepine Prescribing in the Primary Care Setting: Physician Support and Needs Assessment
- Joseph Cheung, M.D.
Applying Wearable Technology and Genetics to Study Extreme Long Sleepers
- Kate Hardy, ClinPsychD
Pilot Study Investigating the Impact of a Group-Based Worry Intervention Trial on Attenuated Psychotic Symptoms, Worry, and Distress in Adolescents At-Risk of Developing Psychosis
- Christina Khan, M.D. , Ph.D.
Improving Pediatric Behavioral Health Integration at a Federally Qualified Community Health Center in East Palo Alto, CA
- Jane Kim, Ph.D.
Development of Tailoring Guidelines for Personalizing Behavioral Intervention Technologies
- Daniel Mason, M.D. & Katherine Eisen, Ph.D.
Reading and Recovery Expectations: Developing a Bibliotherapy Group for an Acute Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
- Diana Naranjo, Ph.D.
Training Mental Health Care Providers in Diabetes Distress to Address Psychosocial Need in Youth and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes
- Daryn Reicherter, M.D. & Ellie Williams, M.D.
Bringing Care to New Moms: Collaboration between the Gardner Packard Children’s Health Center and the Stanford Department of Psychiatry for the Evaluation and Treatment of Postpartum Depression
- Carolyn Rodriguez, M.D. , Ph.D.
Building Community-Academic Partnerships for Evidence-Based Treatment of Hoarding Disorder
- Yelizaveta Sher, M.D.
Quality Improvement Project on Screening, Monitoring and Timely Treatment of Delirium Immediately Post Lung Transplantation
- Shannon Sullivan, M.D. & Michelle Cao, DO
Survey of Sleep Education Offered by US Medical Residency Training Program
- Ellie Williams, M.D. & Julie Weitlauf, Ph.D.
Women’s Health and Wellness Advanced Clinical Didactic Workshop: Assessment and Treatment of Genito-Pelvic Pain/Penetration Disorder in Women with Interpersonal Trauma Exposure