Physician Scientist: How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in our program. We welcome applications from all interested candidates from across the country and from diverse backgrounds. We use holistic review of applicant files and do not have a specific board score cut-off for consideration.
Application materials MUST be submitted through ERAS.
Application Deadline: October 20, 2020
Interview decisions will be made after a review of your complete application. In order for your application to be considered complete, all required materials must be received no later than October 20th.
- To be considered for the Stanford Pediatric Residency Physician Scientist Track, you must complete the Stanford Pediatric Residency Physician Scientist Track online form (due by October 20th).
- Completed ERAS application form (recommend applying to both the Physician Scientist Track and the Stanford Categorical Pediatrics Track)
- MSPE ("Dean's Letter" from your school)
- Letters of Recommendation (4):
- Letter from one of these members of your Institution's Department of Pediatrics: Chair, Clerkship Director, or Program Director
- Clinical letter from Pediatrics faculty member
- Clinical letter from any Pediatrics or Non-Pediatrics faculty member
- Letter from your PhD advisor (or another significant research mentor)
- Personal statement
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE Score Transcript
- NRMP Number
- Applicants may apply to both the Physician Scientist and Categorical tracks
- If you are currently in a residency training program, a letter is also required from the program director.
- If you also hold a PhD, please also include a letter from your PhD advisor.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Additional letters of reference are accepted – Email letter
- We require that you have a passing USMLE score. Otherwise, we do not have a minimum score cut-off. We also do not have a graduation date cut off.
- We will accept either USMLE or COMLEX scores.
- Only J-1 visas are sponsored through the Graduate Medical Education Office.
Carrie Rassbach, MD, MA Ed
Residency Program Director
Mark Kay, MD, PhD
Associate Chair for Research