Student Trainee Policy 2019
Department of Pediatrics
Student must be:
- At least 16 years of age.
- Enrolled in high school, a pre-baccalaureate program, community college, an undergraduate degree program, a post-baccalaureate program, or medical school.
- A US citizen or permanent resident.
Faculty sponsor must:
- Supervise the student in the lab environment at all times, or designate a formal supervisor for the student who is with the student at all times (e.g., a postdoc).
- Provide an educational experience for the student, and not a work experience.
- Develop an educational training plan for the student that will be shared with the student prior to the first day of the experience.
- Ensure the student completes all necessary trainings to be qualified to be in the specific lab environment.
- Have no more than five Student Trainees working in a lab at any one time.
- Provide educational experiences that are substantive in nature, but must be limited in scope and under direct supervision. The primary purpose of the experience is to offer training for the student in research methods. The lab may have secondary benefits from the student’s efforts, but these ancillary benefits must not be the primary purpose or goal of the experience.
Estimate Application Processing Time
- Student Trainee (non-minor): 4 weeks
- Student Trainee (minor): 6 weeks
- Student Trainee and Visiting Observer: 10 weeks