Clinical trials are a subset of clinical research and must include all four of the following factors in order to qualify for the clinical trial indirect cost rate:
1. The objective of the study is either:
- testing of drugs, devices, diagnostics, treatments, interventions, or preventive measures including testing for an unapproved indication or
- data collection to increase knowledge that would lead to enhanced safety and efficacy of a drug or device.
2. The study must involve contact with humans. This includes studies that involve medical record reviews.
3. The study must be performed primarily in patient care areas and qualify as an off-campus project as outlined in the RPH: Facilities & Administrative (F&A), i.e., Indirect Cost and Fringe Benefit Rates.
4. The study must be industry sponsored or funded.
More information can be found on the DoResearch website under Specialized Categories of Sponsored Projects.
A directory of all Clinical Trials offered at Stanford School of Medicine can be found here.