This section describes approaches for treating Parkinson's disease (PD) and its symptoms.
Resources are organized into eight sections:
- Exercise. Exercise plays a crucial role in the treatment of PD. Research shows that exercise can improve mobility, mood, and overall quality of life for those with PD. We have a list of PD exercise videos -- especially useful during the pandemic. And we have a list of live, online PD exercise classes -- useful if the class days/times fit your schedule.
- Fall Prevention. People with Parkinson's are at high risk of falling due to problems with balance, rigidity, and slowness of movement -- the primary motor symptoms of PD.
- Complementary Therapies, including the use of cannabis
- Speech and Voice Therapy, including exercises you can perform at home
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS), a surgical technique that has been successful for many patients. DBS was approved in 1997 to treat PD patients. This section includes stories from those with PD who have experienced DBS surgery.
- Late-Stage PD, which has its own unique treatment challenges