The Student Progress Committee will conduct a systematic review at three intervals of all students’ progress towards completion of the MSPA Studies degree. Those reviews will encompass all areas of academic performance, professionalism, and technical standards. Students for whom the Student Progress Committee determines have met these standards will be eligible for formal promotion as follows:
A. Promotion to Clinical MSPA Studies Student: upon completion of pre-clerkship courses and other requirements, students will be reviewed for formal promotion. Criteria for promotion are:
- Satisfactory completion of all required pre-clerkship courses with a passing grade by April 1 of the academic year. (NOTE: A maximum of one grade of “marginal pass” in a pre-clerkship course will be permitted, but only in a course of fewer than 8 units.) MSPA Studies students may be required to take an additional preparatory clinical course prior to entering clerkships.
- Satisfactory fulfillment of the standards for professionalism of the Stanford School of Medicine MSPA Studies program.
- Satisfactory fulfillment of the technical standards of the Stanford School of Medicine MSPA Studies program.
- Satisfactory progress in a Scholarly Concentration.
Students who are determined by the Student Progress Committee as not fulfilling the standards for Promotion to Clinical PA Student, or who do not satisfy the remediation measures required by the Student Progress Committee may be dismissed from the MSPA Studies program. Students who do not achieve successful promotion to Clinical PA Student cannot continue as MSPA Studies candidate at the Stanford School of Medicine.
B. Promotion to Eligible for MSPA Studies Degree: In March of the anticipated year of graduation, the Student Progress Committee will review students’ progress to determine their eligibility for promotion to “eligible for MSPA Studies degree.” If promoted, a student will be included on the list to be transmitted to the Dean and Registrar of the University for Conferral of the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies degree. Criteria for promotion are:
- Satisfactory completion of all degree requirements;
- Continued satisfactory fulfillment of the standards for professionalism of the Stanford School of Medicine MSPA Studies program;
- Continued satisfactory fulfillment of the technical standards of the Stanford School of Medicine MSPA Studies program;
- Completion of a Scholarly Concentration;
- No unresolved concerns regarding academic performance, professionalism or fulfillment of the technical standards.