SWAP-MEAT: Study With Appetizing Plant Food - Meat Eating Alternatives Trial
We want to know…
This study aims to investigate the impact of replacing meat consumption with plant-based meat alternative consumption on cardiovascular health, the gut microbiome, and metabolic status.
Eligible participants are:
- 18 years or older
- Consuming meat (beef, pork, chicken) at least once a day on average
- Willing to consume meat and plant-based meat alternatives at least two times a day on average
If eligible, participants were asked to:
- Attend 7 clinic visits over a 16-week period (30 minutes each).
- Maintain dietary food records throughout the study.
- Provide blood, stool, and urine samples, and complete questionnaires.
- Maintain a diet full of traditional meat products for 8 weeks and plant-based meat alternatives for 8 weeks.
Participants who complete the study received the following free of charge:
- An average of 14 servings a week of traditional meat products for 8 weeks
- An average of 14 servings a week of plant-based meat alternatives for 8 weeks
- Results of their blood analyses
- A “map” of their microbiota composition
How to Participate
Enrollment is now closed.
If you have questions, please contact the study coordinator, Christina Petlura at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 650-724-8310.