The RAMP Study: Rejuvenation of the Aging Microbiota with Prebiotics
The purpose of this study was…
To investigate whether a prebiotic supplement may affect the microbiota composition, immune health, and feelings of health and wellbeing in people 60 years of age and older.
Eligble participants for this study had to meet the following criteria:
- 60 years and older, both men and women
- Have a BMI of <40
- Not currently suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, bloating, or IBS
If eligible, participants were asked to:
- Attend 5 clinic visits over a 12-week period (30 minutes each).
- Maintain dietary food records throughout the study.
- Provide blood, stool, and urine samples.
- Complete questionnaires asking about feelings of health and wellbeing.
- Take a prebiotic supplement or a placebo (as determined by randomization) for 6 weeks.
Upon completion, participants will receive:
- Results of the blood analyses
- A “map” of your microbiota composition
How to Participate
This study is now closed to enrollment.
If you have questions, please contact the study coordinator, Diane Demis at email@example.com.