Acceptance of a Medical Scholars fellowship entails a commitment on the part of both the student and mentor(s).
25% MedScholars = 4-5 units, a minimum of 10 hours per week
50% MedScholars = 9 units, a minimum of 20 hours per week
75% MedScholars = 13-14 units, a minimum of 30 hours per week
100% MedScholars = 18 units, a minimum of 40 hours per week.
Once a project is approved, the student must:
Complete any previous MedScholars project (see #6 below) before receiving funding for the new project.
Submit all compliance approvals within two weeks of the start of the research quarter. In cases where all compliance approvals are not in place by the second week of the quarter in which the project is to begin, the project will become ineligible for MedScholars funding. In this case, at the request of the student and with approval of the MedScholars program, projects can typically be deferred until the following quarter.
- Register for MED 370 or mentor’s department 370 (e.g. DERM 370) for the correct units corresponding to the percentage proposed. If an adjustment to percentages and/or quarters needs to occur, students must notify the Medical Scholars Program by the second week of the quarter. Mentor approval for adjustments will be required. If requests for changes are not made by the end of the second week of the quarter, the student may forfeit their units and funding.
- Fellowships are awarded for their efforts towards the approved project. MedScholars office must be notified if there are minor changes to the nature, scope, or direction of the project. Changes that substantially alter the project, or changing of a mentor, signifies a new project. Funding cannot be applied towards a new project that has not gone through committee approval. In this case, the approved project will be terminated and students must submit a completion report for the quarters they received funding.
- If a project is terminated for any reason, please contact the MedScholars office. Terminations are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may be subject to the cancellation of funds.
- Work on the project during the quarters in which the student is in receipt of funding and/or academic credit. Students may continue to work on their project when not in receipt of pay or academic credit.
- Updates to a project timeline must be approved by the faculty mentor and submitted to the MedScholars office. Updates cannot exceed the approved the application total.
Fulfill obligations to the Committee no later than six months after the end of the quarter of funding and/or before beginning another Medical Scholars Research fellowship*. Click here for Completion requirements and instructions.
- Be prepared to write a personal letter of thanks and attend the annual donor dinner, if requested. The primary source of Stanford MedScholars fellowships are gifts made by private donors. These donations are frequently made by individuals who take an interest in the scholastic background, academic progress, and research activities of their aid. These donors may request to meet their MedScholar at the dinner.
- The Office of Medical Student Research & Scholarship must be notified of any external funding that is awarded for the approved MedScholars research. Students with 100% MedScholars may have their funding adjusted to reflect the additional funding. Students may not receive duplicate funding for the same effort.
*Students who are working on a Medical Scholars project, and are intending to graduate must complete their project no later than two weeks before graduation day.