Tom Banks, PhD
Tom Banks received his A.B. in physics from Cornell University ('99) and his PhD in nuclear physics from UC Berkeley ('07). His doctoral research focused on the MuCap experiment, which performed a precision measurement of the nucleon's electroweak pseudoscalar coupling. For his thesis describing the results of his analysis of the first MuCap data, Dr. Banks received the 2009 APS Dissertation Award in Nuclear Physics. After completing graduate school, Dr. Banks stayed on at UC Berkeley to work as a postdoctoral researcher on the KamLAND and CUORE experiments, investigating neutrino oscillations and neutrinoless double-beta decay. In 2015, he left particle physics to study for a certification in medical physics at the University of Victoria, BC.
Dr. Banks entered the Stanford Medical Physics residency in 2016.
- Alduino C, et al. (CUORE Collaboration). "Analysis techniques for the evaluation of the neutrinoless double-β decay lifetime in 130Te with CUORE-0 detector." Phys. Rev. C93, 045503 (2016); (arXiv:1601.01334).
- Alfonso K, et al. (CUORE Collaboration). "Search for Neutrinoless Double Beta Decay of 130Te with CUORE-0." Phys. Rev. Lett. (2015); 115, 102502. (arXiv:1504.02454 [nucl-ex]).
- Artusa DR, et al. (CUORE Collaboration). "Searching for neutrinoless double-beta decay of 130Te with CUORE." Advances in High Energy Physics, Vol. 2015, 879871 (2015). (arXiv:1402.6072 [physics.ins-det]).
- Banks TI, et al. "A compact ultra-clean system for deploying radioactive sources inside the KamLAND detector." Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A769, (2015); 88-96. (arXiv:1407.0413[physics.ins-det]).
- Egger J, et al. "A high-pressure hyrdogen time projection chamber for the MuCap experiment." Eur. Phys. J. A50, 163 (2014). (arXiv:1405.2853[physics.ins-det]).
- Gando A, et al. (KamLAND-Zen Collaboration). "Limit on Neutrinoless ββ Decay of Xe-136 from the First Phase of KamLAND-Zen and Comparison with the Positive Claim in Ge-76." Phys. Rev. Lett. 110,062502 (2013). ([arXiv:1211.3863[hep-ex])
- Andreev VA, et al. (MuCap Collaboration). "Measurement of Muon Capture on the Proton to 1% Precision and Determination of the Pseudoscalar Coupling gP." Phys. Rev. Lett. (2013);110, 012504. (arXiv:1210.6545[nucl-ex]).
- Gando A, et al. (KamLAND Collaboration). "Constraints on θ_13 from A Three-Flavor Oscil-lation Analysis of Reactor Antineutrinos at KamLAND." Phys. Rev. (2011); D83, 052002. (arXiv:1009.4771[hep-ex]).
- Andreev VA, et al. (MuCap Collaboration). "Measurement of the Muon Capture Rate in Hyrdrogen Gas and Determination of the Proton's Pseudoscalar Coupling gP." Phys. Rev. Lett. (2007); 99, 032002. (arXiv:0704.2072[nucl-ex]).