Students must complete 12 total Scholarly Concentration coursework units. Students selecting only a Foundation Area complete all 12 units in that Foundation Area. Students undertaking both a Foundation Area and an Application Area complete six units in each.
Formal Coursework – 6 units total
A personalized series of courses totaling at least 3 more units depending upon the track chosen:
EDUC 229 B, C, D: Learning Design and Technology Seminar
- 229B: Winter/1 unit;
- 229C: Spring/1 unit;
- 229D: Summer/2-5 units (incorporates project).
Note: the timing of EDUC 229 B, C, D will in most cases necessitate that participating students be either first year students, or second year students on a five year curriculum. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
EDUC 208B: Curriculum Construction
- SURG 257: Clinical Teaching Seminar Series
Autumn/Winter/Spring 1 unit
- PEDS 202A/B/C or SURG 202A/B/C: Qualitative Research Methods and Study Design
For those students interested in completing the final 6 SC units in MedEd, there are a variety of other options including:
- EDUC 298: Learning in a Networked World
- EDUC 311X: Open Access Education
- EDUC 333A: Understanding Learning Environments
- EDUC 319X: Web-based Technologies in Teaching and Learning
- INDE 229: Managing Difficult Conversations
- INDE 236: Introduction to Teaching and Mentoring
- MED 200 A, B: Practical Applications for Qualitative Data Analysis
Experiential Component and Informal Seminars (equivalent of 6 units)
- It is assumed that all students will serve as a Teaching Assistant (TA) in one or more required courses in the preclinical MD curriculum.
- Participate in existing weekly Medical Education Research team meeting within the Office of Medical Education (time TBA, based on participant availability).
- Develop resource materials for and participate in the delivery of annual TA Training program.
- Participate in monthly Medical Education Research Group meetings.
- Participate in the development and implementation of other faculty development activities as opportunity/need arises.