How to Apply for Berg Scholars Program Participation
The Berg Scholars Program application period is open at the time candidates are applying for the MD program up until the end of Winter Quarter of an MD program student's third year.
Application Process for Prospective MD Program Students
For Berg Scholars Program candidates applying concurrently with their Stanford University School of Medicine MD program application, the following steps will be taken:
- Apply through AMCAS for MD program
- Submit a research essay similar to the Medical Student Training Program (MSTP) process
- If selected, interview for MD Program and Berg Scholars Program candidacy during the same interview day
Up to 6 Berg Scholars will be accepted each year. If selected to join the Stanford MD program and also become a Berg Scholar, the new student will participate in the physician scientist training program through the split curriculum pathway.
Application Process for Stanford MD Program Students
If you are already accepted into the Stanford MD Program and are in your first or second year, please send email to email@example.com. State your interest in applying for participation in the program. Details regarding the next steps in the application process will be provided.
The application process includes:
- Meeting with the program director
- Providing a copy of your AMCAS application that is on file with the School of Medicine
- Obtaining a letter of recommendation from your proposed mentor
- Submitting a brief written summary:
- Your motivation for a career as a physician scientist and Berg Scholar in particular
- Planned coursework
- Proposed faculty who will serve on your Berg Scholars Thesis Committee (composed of a Research Mentor, Dr. Utz, and at least 1-2 additional faculty members)
- Writing a research proposal
- Presenting your research proposal to the Berg Scholars Selection Committee followed by a question and answer period