The Discovery Curriculum
The first cohort of students to experience the Discovery Curriculum is the matriculating class of 2017-18.
Diversity of Learning Pathways - Only at Stanford
The Discovery Curriculum supports students’ scientific discovery and self-discovery by offering multiple learning pathways only available at Stanford. All pathways assume students will complete their clerkship education in 2 years.
Key Features of Discovery Curriculum
- 2-year and 3-year pre-clerkship options that enable students to complete their MD Program at a more individualized pace
- More opportunities for longitudinal scholarship and pursuing dual degrees
- Improvements to pedagogy and student assessment in courses
- New courses that provide a more robust medical education and training
- Redesigned courses as part of continuous quality improvement efforts
- Continuation of many strong components of the former curriculum
- Maintaining our excellence in clinical training
MD Program Mission Statement
Our mission is to educate and inspire leaders in medicine and science who will improve human health through discovery, innovation, scholarship, education, and the delivery of outstanding patient-centered care.