School of Medicine Registrar's Office MD Program Graduation Tips
Check MD Degree Requirements
- The SoM Registrar’s Office contacts MD Program students who are getting ready to graduate. Look for email messages regarding your graduation status and any steps needed prior to being able to graduate.
- Registration (in courses or Graduation Quarter status) is required for the term in which a student plans to graduate.
- Graduation Quarter status ($150 tuition) is a special registration status for students who have completed all degree. requirements and met all eligibility requirements. Review the information provided on the SoM Registrar’s Office Graduation Quarter Eligibility webpage to take necessary steps before deadlines.
- Graduation Quarter status is not eligible for Financial Aid
- Apply to Graduate through Axess prior to the application to graduate quarterly deadline.
- The final official transcript, which includes the MD conferral/program completion date, will become available within 1 - 2 business days after the degree conferral date.
- Electronic delivery via email is the quickest way to have a copy of your official transcript sent to a designated recipient:
- Log on to Axess then go to the Student tab
- From the Academics section drop down menu, select “Request Official Transcript”
- Select Transcript Type – Electronic Transcript (sent within 15 minutes) and input needed delivery details
- When you apply to graduate in Axess, you will be asked to inform the Office of the University Registrar how you wish to receive your diploma. You can change your diploma distribution choice in Axess up until two weeks before degree conferral. Methods for obtaining your diploma:
- Immediately at graduation: Participate in the SoM graduation ceremony. You will be able to receive your diploma immediately after the ceremony. Have a photo ID with you, no other person can obtain your diploma for you. (In Axess, select “Ceremony”.)
- A day or later after graduation: Pick up your diploma at the University Registrar’s Student Services Center on designated distribution days (usually occurs during the week after the graduation ceremony). You are allowed to have a designated person pick up your diploma for you. List the designated person when you apply to graduate in Axess. (In Axess, select “Pick-up”)
- 2 weeks or more after graduation: Requesting your diploma to be mailed to you after the degree conferral date will take several days for delivery at the earliest. We do not recommend this method if you need to submit a copy of your diploma immediately after the degree conferral date. (In Axess, select “Mail” )
- 6 weeks after graduation: An electronic certified copy of your diploma will be available on the CeDiploma system a few weeks after the degree conferral date. Once your diploma is available, online CeDiploma requests are processed every 15 minutes.
Residency Program Reminders
Many graduating students who are planning to continue their training through a residency program will be asked to have documents completed by school officials as part of their on-boarding process. Plan accordingly for residency program on-boarding deadlines. Residency Programs commonly will require verification of pending graduation as well as certification of MD degree conferral.
The associated residency program coordinator should be able to let you know what they will accept as official verification of your pending graduation during the time you’re waiting for your final official transcript and diploma to become available.
- The SoM Registrar’s Office will assist with processing residency program on-boarding verifications and state licensure forms as needed. Use the Registrar’s Office Document Request Form to submit your request.
- For interim verifications, a Letter of Good Standing can be requested to cover your current status as a student in good standing along with matriculation and pending graduation dates.
- If a state licensure form is required, be sure to complete any student/alum required section(s) and submit the form as an attachment to your online document request form. Alternatively, you can send forms as attachments to email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “secure” included in the subject line.
- Residency program forms for MD program verification can also be submitted as an attachment using the document request form.
For students attending a residency program, be sure to plan for the following:
- Stanford’s MD degree conferral for Spring Quarter occurs in mid-June (see Academic Calendar for exact date). Many Residency Programs will expect you to start their orientation and complete on-boarding paperwork before or at about the same time as Stanford’s graduation ceremony activities.
- Final official transcripts are only available after the applicable quarter’s degree conferral date. The University degree conferral is not finalized until the conferral date.
- Diplomas are not available until after the official degree conferral date.
- The University Registrar and the SoM Registrar do not have access to a copy of your diploma. You must scan or take a photo of your diploma and submit a copy to the SoM Registrar when requesting a certified copy for residency or state licensing.