MCP Guidelines for Travel and Business Meals
Stanford requires travel and business meals to be relevant to your research and will only reimburse the relevant portions. We want everyone to be able to receive a full reimbursement. Talk to your administrative professional if you have any questions. If you do not comply with Department, University, and Federal guidelines, Stanford will not reimburse you.
A business meal is a meal between 2 or more people which has a Stanford business purpose. Examples include taking a postdoc candidate out for lunch or meeting with a colleague from another institution during a meal to discuss research collaboration.
Requirements for reimbursement and/or Pcard use:
- Must be approved by your PI
- Provide a business purpose explanation: Was this a meal to discuss research collaboration? Lunch for a candidate? Tell us.
- Provide a list of all meal attendees by name, including their affiliation.
- Provide an itemized receipt.
- Do not exceed totals of: $20/$35/$50 per person for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Alcohol will not be reimbursed by your PI in most cases, check with your PI for approval. (In special circumstances, such as meeting with a collaborator, AND with approval from the faculty member, dinner can reach the maximum of $80/person for the full meal.)
Additional Information and Resources
- Stanford Travel website
- School of Medicine Business Expense Guidelines
- If you are carrying Stanford owned equipment (includes laptops and computers) out of the United States, fill out the Annual or One Time Temporary Export/Reexport form
- Fly America Act
- Postdoc Travel
- Stanford Travel Tutorial can be found on Axess: Traveling for Stanford FIN-0400