Changing the Face of Medical Education to Improve Care to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Patients
Welcome to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Medical Education Research Group (LGBT MERG) at Stanford University School of Medicine.
Our mission is to be a significant contributor to the field of LGBT health by creating and communicating new knowledge through innovative research, by influencing health and educational policies, and by advocating for LGBT patients and providers.
Please use the navigation links to the left to explore our website.
Thank you for visiting.
LGBT MERG News
- 24-SEP-11: LGBT MERG members Juno Obedin-Maliver, M.D., M.P.H. and William White, M.A. will present a poster entitled "Transgender Content in Medical Curricula: Deans' and Medical Students' Perspectives" at the 9th Annual American Medical Association Medical Student Section and Resident and Fellow Section (AMA MSS/RFS) Research Symposium on November 11, 2011 in New Orleans, LA. Contact us for more information.
- 06-SEP-11: LGBT MERG publishes results of its survey of Deans of Medical Education in an article entitled "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender-Related Content in Undergraduate Medical Education" in the September 7th issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- 25-AUG-11: Elise Paradis, Ph.D. was invited to participate on a panel about LGBT youth and the Internet at the Philips Academy Boarding School in Andover, MA. New York Times journalist Benoit Denizet-Lewis and gay teen celebrity blogger Ben Newcomer are the other panelists. Contact us for more information.
- 05-AUG-11: LGBT MERG members Jessi Humphreys, Matthew Mansh, and Maggie Wells will present a Seminar entitled "Test-drive an LGBT Health Curriculum Portal: Linking Medical Student Research Results to Predoctoral Curricular Improvements," a paper entitled "Medical Student Comfort and Preparedness in Caring for LGBT Patients: National Survey Results," and a poster entitled "Transgender: The Missing ‘T’ In Medical Education" at the 38th Annual Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Conference on Medical Student Education in Long Beach, CA from February 2-5, 2012. Contact us for more information.
- 01-JUL-11: Elizabeth S. Goldsmith will be a discussant in "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Health Disparities and Medical Education: Fostering Student-Led Curriculum Change" at the 122nd Annual Meeting of the Association of American Medical Colleges in Denver, CO from November 4-9, 2011. Contact us for more information.
- 22-JUN-11: LGBT MERG members Matthew Mansh, William White, M.A., Juno Obedin-Maliver, M.D., M.P.H., and Maggie Wells will present two posters ("Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Medical Student Experiences: ‘Out’ in Medical School and Perspectives on Curricular Content" and "Comparison of Deans’ and Students’ Perspectives on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Content in Undergraduate Medical Education" at the Research in Medical Education (RIME) section of the 122nd Annual Meeting of the Association of American Medical Colleges in Denver, CO from November 4-9, 2011. Contact us for more information.
|LGBT Content in Undergraduate Medical Education||Published|
|Medical Students' Preparedness and Comfort With Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Patient Care||
|LGBT Students in American and Canadian Medical Schools||Manuscript drafting|
|Transgender: The Missing "T" in Medical Education||Data analysis, manuscript planning|
|Comparing Dean and Student Perspectives on LGBT Medical Education||Work in progress|
|LGBT Content in Canadian Undergraduate Medical Curricula||Work in progress|
|LGBT Health Stories||Data collection|
LGBT Health Stories
Have you had a memorable (positive or negative) experience as an LGBT patient or as a medical provider for an LGBT patient? Please click here to share your story today.