COVID-19 Press & Publications
ID Fellow Authors: Jessica Ferguson, Joelle Rosser, Orlando Quintero
ID Faculty Authors: Jake Scott, Aruna Subramanian, and Shanthi Kappagoda
ID Faculty Author: Aruna Subramanian
Stanford Infectious Diseases Grand Rounds
Presenters: Melisa Shah, Julie Parsonnet, Eran Bendavid, Taia Wang
Stanford Infectious Diseases Lecture Series
Presenter: Shanthi Kappagoda, MD
Date: July 14, 2020
ABC7 | Feb. 4, 2020: Coronavirus: Can the outbreak affect pets? Expert explains
- For those worrying about if their pets can catch the coronavirus, Dr. Eran Bendavid says it's "exceptionally unlikely."
Vox | Feb. 13, 2020: “No handshakes, please”: The tech industry is terrified of the coronavirus
- Dr. Stan Deresinski explains transmission is primarily through respiratory droplets with handshakes being secondary, yet there is always a risk.
Bloomberg | Feb 16, 2020: Fears of Global Coronavirus Contagion as 3,000 Cruise Passengers Go Home
- Dr. Stan Deresinski warns there is a possibility anyone infected and asymptomatic could start a chain of infection wherever they return.
CBS SF Bay Area | Feb 26, 2020: San Francisco Declares Emergency Over ‘Growing Likelihood’ Of Coronavirus Cases
- Dr. Eran Bendavid forwarns everything he has seen thus far suggests the virus will spread in the U.S.
NBC Bay Area | Feb 28, 2020: Do You Really Need a Face Mask to Avoid Coronavirus Spread?
- Dr. Stan Deresinski responds to questions regarding a highly-coveted, new shopping item—the face mask.
KTVU Fox 2 | March 2, 2020: More coronavirus cases in Santa Clara County; total is now at nine
- Dr. Aruna Subramanian informs the importance of taking precautions, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing.
Live Science | March 4, 2020: These 5 mistakes could worsen the coronavirus outbreak
- Dr. Stan Deresinski cautions why these mistakes are not only costly to yourself but others.
WSJ | March 24, 2020: Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
- In this op-ed, Dr. Eran Bendavid estimates the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude.
ABC News | April 17, 2020: Scientists have strong evidence coronavirus originated naturally
- Dr. Bob Shafer discusses the origins of the novel coronavirus.
Pop Sugar | April 28, 2020: There's an Emerging, Promising Link Between Exercise and Your Immune Health
- Dr. Aruna Subramanian and Dr. Dean Winslow weigh in on the exercise benefits on psychological and immune health.
SF Chronicle | April 29, 2020: Gilead drug remdesivir shows promise in two coronavirus trials
- Dr. Aruna Subramanian discusses the promising results to the experimental coronavirus drug remdesivir.
SF Chronicle | May 14, 2020: Bay Area doctors prepare for coronavirus in looming flu season
- Dr. David Relman advises needed strategies for a resurgence of cases and a potentially much deadlier situation in the winter.
KTVU Fox 2 | July 1, 2020: Stanford researchers to start clinical trial of COVID-19 drug in pill form
- Dr. Aruna Subramanian is hopeful the results for a Favipiravir clinical trial will lessen the effects of the coronavirus.