2018 Clinical Teaching Seminar Series - Honors Certificate Program in Medical Education
For all housestaff at SHC/LPCH and affiliated hospitals
Clinical Teaching Seminar Series
2018- 2019 HONORS SCHOLAR CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IN MEDICAL EDUCATION APPLICATION
The Clinical Teaching Seminar Series (CTSS) is a year-long faculty development program in medical education, designed to introduce clinical educators to fundamental concepts in education. The seminars are high-yield, relevant, and interactive, providing practical tips for bedside teaching, curriculum development, and education research.
The HONORS CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IN MEDICAL EDUCATION is meant to recognize participants with a dedication to medical education, who regularly attend the seminars and complete a scholarly project. The Honors Program is a multi-disciplinary program open to all medical students, residents, fellows, staff, and faculty with an interest in medical education.
Deadline: August 19, 2018
Seminars are held from 5:15-6:30 on the first Wednesday of every month
First seminar of the year is September 5, 2018 at 5:15pm in a room TBA
Honors Scholar Requirements:
After submission and acceptance of the Honors Scholar application, requirements for attaining a honors certificate are:
- Attend at least 7 seminars within one year (or 10 seminars if completing the program over two years)
- Complete a scholarly project in medical education. Scholarly projects can be:
- curricular development (the curriculum must be implemented with evaluation data available) or
- research in medical education (data) or
- a rigorous needs assessment (again with initial survey data) or
- a systematic review
- Present the scholarly project at:
- Stanford Innovations in Medical Education Conference (SIMEC IV) on May 2019 or
- the last CTSS session on Wednesday June 5, 2019 at 5:15 pm at a room TBA (if cannot present at the conference)
Application Link: 2018-2019 Honors Scholar APPLICATION LINK
- One page project (double space 12 point) description. To attach to Qualtrics Application.
- Possible questions to answer on the project are:
i. What do you intend to accomplish?
ii. Where are you at in you project?
iii. What data do you have or intend on collecting and analyzing?
iv. How can CTSS help you in your medical education project?
- CV or Educator’s Portfolio to be uploaded on the Application Site.
- Endorsement from your Chair or Division/Section Chief, Program Director, Medical Student Advisor, or Supervisor.
- Endorsement form is attached (link to downloadable form: ENDORSEMENT LINK)
i. Have supervisor read the program requirements. She/he is pledging to support and allow you time to complete the program. Have her/him sign the form.
ii. Ensure that this is filled out as complete as possible.
iii. Scan and upload as part of the Qualtrics Honors Scholars Application.
DUE DATE: August 19, 2018
CTSS Leadership Group:
- Becky Blankenburg (Peds), Brian Herman (SOM), James Lau (Surg),
- Sylvia Bereknyei Merrell (Surg), Lars Osterberg (IM, TMA), Erika Schillinger (FM), Marianne
- Chen (Anesth), Pedro Tanaka (Anesth), Sarah Williams (EM)
For questions or concerns regarding the Clinical Teaching Seminar Series or the Honors Scholars Certificate Program in Medical Education, please contact James Lau, MD MHPE (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Brian Herman, MPA (email@example.com).