Ann Dohn, MA
Director, Graduate Medical Education
Designated Institutional Official (DIO), ACGME
Training Program Liaison, ECFMG
Special Programs Coordinator, Medical Board of California
Institutional Official, NRMP
Administrative Assistant II
Last Revised 08/13/2018
About J-1 Visas
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics uses the J-1 visa program sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- Stanford does not sponsor H-1B visas for graduates of international medical schools.
- Graduates of Canadian medical schools must also use the J-1 program.
- Incoming and continuing J-1 visa house staff are required to obtain their J-1 visas before their training. Failure to submit the requested documentation will result in a delayed start date.
- Outgoing J-1 house staff are required to complete mandatory tasks in the Exiting House Staff Checklist.
Start the process 6 months in advance.
To Program Directors and Coordinators
Program leadership and coordinators must review the ECFMG certificate requirements to ensure the applicant is eligible to participate as a J-1 visa holder in the training program.
New U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Policy, Effective August 9, 2018
Violation of status becomes an "unlawful presence"
- Effective August 9, 2018 - Update in policy on violations of status - Violation of status is considered "unlawful presence."
- No advance warning is provided to inform a visa holder that he/she has begun to accrue unlawful presence.
- A violation of status is triggered often times when a foreign national seeks to adjust permanent resident status or returns from a trip abroad.
- What is considered a violation of status?
- nonimmigrant status overstays
- unauthorized employment
- failure to maintain required course loads
- other violations of status
- Visa holders, please be mindful of the following:
- Make sure that you firmly understand both the time limits as well as the scope of authorized activities within your visa classification.
- Particularly, as of August 9, 2018, make sure that you are acting in a manner fully consistent with your visa status, since any unauthorized activity following that date will trigger the “unlawful presence” accrual periods.
- Remember that these harsh consequences for a violation of status apply also to your dependent family members.
- Please consult with the your appropriate advisors if you have any questions on whether or not you are maintaining fully your immigration status.
The J-1 Visa Process: Initial
When an international medical graduate (IMG) is accepted into a Stanford training program, the GME office will initiate the J-1 visa application for the IMG housestaff. The J-1 applicant has the following responsibilities:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Apply for a J-1 Visa
- New/Arrival of J-1 Visa
- Maintain a J-1 Visa
- Expired J-1 Visa
- End a J-1 Visa
The J-1 visa process is a time-sensitive process. All e-mails sent by Ann Dohn are considered high priority.
The J-1 Visa Process: Renewals/Transfers
If the trainee is from an outside institution with a J-1 and plans to attend Stanford, the Stanford training program must inform GME/TPL the following:
- Trainee has a J-1 visa already sponsored at another institution in the US.
- Is trainee qualified for a renewal/transfer/sponsorship at Stanford?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I am attending a conference outside of the U.S. What do I need to know?
You must notify Ann Dohn 3-4 weeks in advance that you are leaving for a conference outside of the U.S. Your DS-2019 will be updated by Ann. According to ECFMG, to reenter the U.S. following international travel, you are required to bring a(n):
- Passport, valid for at least six months beyond the program end date on the most recent Form DS-2019.
- Valid J-1 or J-2 visa. (Note: A visa is not required for Canadian citizens seeking to reenter the United States.)
- Original Form DS-2019 with travel signature in the “Travel Validation by Responsible Officer” box on lower right side of Form DS-2019. Only ECFMG personnel can provide the required travel validation signature.