California Medical Licensure Exemptions
Special Programs with Medical Board of California
Ann Dohn, MA
Director, Graduate Medical Education
Designated Institutional Official (DIO), ACGME
Training Program Liaison, ECFMG
Special Programs Coordinator, Medical Board of California
Institutional Official, NRMP
Last Revised 1/23/2018
- Section 2111, 2113, and 2168 (new, separation or renewals) must be sent to Ann Dohn (firstname.lastname@example.org) to process. She will see through the application process to the Medical Board of California (MBC).
- Do NOT send the form directly to MBC as they will not process without Ann Dohn.
Summary of Special Programs
|Category||Section 2111||Section 2113||Section 2168|
|Applicable For||fellows/clinical instructors, not yet eligible for CA license||full-time faculty, foreign trained MD, not yet eligible for CA license||full-time faculty, foreign trained MD, not yet eligible for CA license|
Section 2111 can be used for fellows/clinical instructors who are not able to obtain a CA MD License for incidental patient contact under some circumstances.
Section 2113 can be used for full time faculty who are not able to obtain a CA MD License under some circumstances. It may not be used for physicians in advanced training.
Section 2168 is a faculty permit. As of January 1, 2010, permit holders and licensees are required to verify satisfactory completion of 50 hours of Category 1 continuing medical education credit hours at the time of renewal.
Apply, Renew, and Terminate Special Permit
- Notice of Separation Under Business and Professions Code Sections 2111, 2113, and 2168
- Request for Renewal Under Business and Professions Code Sections 2111 and 2113. Please send required items to Ann Dohn for the renewal request:
- Completed renewal form
- Check for $43 made out to the Medical Board of California
- Proof of completed Continuing Medical Education (CME) (Questions regarding hours or catetories, see "Continuing Medical Education Requirements for Physicians Licensed by the California State Board of Medical Quality Assurance")