GME Diversity Committee
led by residents/fellows
We provide a comprehensive list of all the diversity groups at the department, program, and administrative level. Our goal is to make transparent the diverse support systems on all levels at Stanford School of Medicine. Let us know if we're missing any groups!
We hold several events to foster unity and support for
- prospective interviewing house staff- recruitments and socials
- current house staff - social events, network with faculty
We encounter similar but also unique situations. Know that you are not alone, and we're here to help!
If you have questions about professional development or any situations, feel free to speak with a fellow committee member or faculty advisors.
Last Revised 07/19/2018
Our goal is to create a medical community that is reflective of the community and the world that we serve. We believe that we can best achieve this goal by addressing systems of privilege including those based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and physical ability. Representation matters, period. Our mission and values align with the goals of Stanford Medicine.
Faces of Our Community Dinner Event
For current and continuing housestaff at Stanford and current housestaff at SHC/LPCH and affiliated hospitals
This is a GME Diversity Committee event
To attend please RSVP by March 28, 2019
This event kicks off Second Look Weekend and is a time where we will recognize organizations and individuals who contribute to the diversity of the medical school. It is also a key opportunity to welcome our incoming admits to the Stanford School of Medicine. The reception and check-in for this event is scheduled to take place between 5:15 pm-5:40 p.m. with dinner starting at 5:40 pm.
Leadership & Council Members
2018-2019 Additional membership profiles available in August - September 2018.
Receptions & Socials
- Prospective housestaff who are exploring a Stanford training program are encouraged to attend the Diversity Reception & Social to meet with our community.
- Stanford Faculty and Housestaff are welcome to attend.
- Event Contact: Trey Huynh-Ngo
Opportunities for mentoring medical and pre-medical students include both the Mentorship Mondays and the Navigating Medicine series. See below for details.
- Mentorship Mondays consist of panels and discussions on diversity issues in medicine, led by resident and faculty mentors.
- Our goal is to provide a safe space for questions and small group discussion amongst residents and medical students, to provide a sense of belonging to the community of diverse Stanford medical trainees and foster mentoring relationships.
- Prior events have included a “What I wish I knew…” panel led by residents for Stanford medical students of diverse backgrounds. Residents shared anecdotes and advice about what they wish they knew about medical school and residency training, with attention to issues specific to trainees of diverse backgrounds.
- If you are a resident interested in participating in this program, or if you have ideas for future events, please contact Sarah Ahmad, MD, Mentorship Programs Co-Chair.
- This program is to connect medical students with residents through specialty centered socials in order for organic mentoring relationships to grow.
- This is open to all medical students, but has a special focus on those students who are underrepresented in medicine.
- These networking events will feature 4-5 specialties per event, and you will have the opportunity to rotate between specialties to meet residents and ask questions.
- Our hope is that you meet residents you resonate with, and reach out to them after the event to continue your conversation and establish a mentee - mentor relationship.
- If you're a housestaff wishing to participate as a mentor, please contact Audrey Verde, MD, PhD, Mentorship Programs Co-Chair.
Feel free to contact the GME Diversity Committee with any questions.