Global Anesthesia Fellowship
Announcing the Stanford Anesthesia Fellowship in Global Health
We are pleased to announce the new Stanford Anesthesia Fellowship in Global Health and are recruiting applicants. The program is designed to increase the fellows' knowledge regarding the complex issues contributing to global health disparities. The ideal fellow will have plans to incorporate the knowledge and skill set gained over the fellowship year to improve peri-operative healthcare delivery in low resource settings. As opposed to service oriented or volunteer mission trips, focus is on capacity building through advancement of global health research and educational partnerships. This postgraduate fellowship after residency is tailored to the individual physician's background and goals but has several core components:
- Up to 12 weeks working in a medically underserved low or middle income country.
- Scholarship project in global health focused on improving infrastructure through improvements in medical education or by forming and answering an appropriate research question.
- A core curriculum including lectures and seminars throughout the year available via Stanford's Center for Innovation in Global Health (http://globalhealth.stanford.edu/) and the Department of Anesthesia.
- Clinical work as an anesthesiology attending in the Stanford Operating Room suite one day a week with 1-2 calls per month to gain experience in managing add/on and emergency cases.
- Attendance at Global Health Outreach conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia or Kampala, Uganda addressing the challenges of administering anesthetics in austere environments.
- Application Form (download here)
- Current CV
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement - Motivations for interest in global health, future plans,past experience (if any), areas of interest.
- Copy of medical school diploma (MD) or copy of PhD diploma - If you have an MD and PhD, please provide both.
- Copies of USMLE scores
- Copies of ITE [In-Training Exam] scores
- California Medical Liscense
Please Note: All clinical fellows must obtain a California medical liscense prior to starting their fellowship program. You may contact the Medical Board of California 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200, Sacramento, CA 95815, Phone 1-800-633-2322, for applications and information. Please allow a minimum of 6-9 months for processing. Fellowship start date is August 1st, but may flexible depending on an applicant's unique circumstances. Applications will not be reviewed until all application materials have been received. Applications are due by December 31st of the year prior to the fellowship start date.
If you have any further questions, please contact Michelle Duperrault: email@example.com.
Mail all application materials to:
Executive Assistant to the Chairman
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
300 Pasteur Drive, Room H3589
Stanford, CA 94305 • MC 5640