Resources for Applicants Who Are Interviewing
2014 General Surgery Interview Dates
- November 10-11 (Mon-Tues), cocktail reception evening of Nov. 10
- November 20-21 (Thurs-Friday), cocktail reception evening of Nov. 20
- December 3-4 (Wednesday-Thurs), cocktail reception evening of Dec. 3
- PGY 1 Prelim interviews are scheduled as phone interviews; interviews take place in December.
You will receive an itinerary the week before your scheduled interview by email and your interview day schedule will be given at the cocktail reception.
Day 1-evening cocktail reception at 5:30p
Day 2-actual interview day starting at 7a
- A cocktail reception is scheduled the evening prior to interview day from 5:30-7:00p (see below for location details).
- On interview day: ALL are expected to arrive at 7:00a and meet at the hospital main entrance lobby area (300 Pasteur Drive).
- Half of the applicants will interview with our Chairman and the other half with our Program Director; you will have the opportunity to meet both at our evening reception and lunch on interview day.
- All applicants will have a total of 3 interviews- one with the PD or Chairman and two others with faculty (2 faculty in each room), have lunch with residents and faculty, and go on a hospital tour.
- The interview day should end no later than 2:30-3p.
2014 Cocktail Reception Dates and Location
The cocktail reception is from 5:30-7:00p
- Monday, November 10 (Location: Bing Dining Room)
- Thursday, November 20 (Location: Bing Dining Room)
- Wednesday, December 3 (Location: Bing Dining Room)
Directions to Bing Dining Room:
The Bing Dining Room is a located on the third floor of the hospital near the escalators.
- From the main entrance (300 Pasteur Drive), make a left down the main corridor
- Make a right down the corridor where the gift shop is located
- Take the escalators behind the gift shop to the 3rd floor
- The Bing is located to the left of escalators.
This is an informal reception and interview attire is not required. Business casual is OK and jeans are not OK.
Please contact Anita Hagan if you're unable to attend our reception.
Directions to Stanford University:
Stanford University Medical Center (SUMC)
300 Pasteur Drive, H3691
Stanford, CA 94305
SUMC is located between San Francisco Airport (SFO) and San Jose Airport (SJC)
Stanford University searchable campus map
Parking and Transportation:
PLEASE NOTE: due to current construction, traffic patterns have changed near the entrance to the Hospital. Please click here for more information and detailed driving directions.
PLEASE ALLOW YOURSELF EXTRA TRAVEL TIME DUE TO THE CONSTRUCTION.
If you are driving to Stanford campus you will need a permit to park on interview days. Notify Anita Hagan if you need a permit and we'll reserve a parking space for you. Visitor parking is $12 and we will not reimburse you for parking so be sure to contact Anita in advance.
You do not need a parking permit the evening of the reception; parking is free if you park after 4p in any of the "A" parking lots. You DO need a permit on interview day.
For information on public transportation, parking lots, and free Stanford shuttles, please visit Parking and Transportation Services.
- Stanford University Visitor Information
- Center for Excellence in Diversity
- City of Palo Alto
- Stanford Hospital Graduate Medical Education Office to obtain information on House Staff Policies & Procedures, stipends, visiting residents, visas, and benefits