MS Program in Human Genetics & Genetic Counseling
The Stanford MS in Human Genetics and Genetic Counseling degree was initiated in 2008, and is fully accredited by the ACGC (previously ABGC). Be a part of this exciting translational program located in a world renowned Genetics department and a top 10 medical school in one of the most beautiful and culturally diverse areas of the country. Our program will utilize state of the art genomics resources that are well developed at Stanford, and train you to work with patients and clients in a wide range of settings and from multicultural backgrounds. Our program provides a balance of cutting edge genomics technology with strong psychosocial counseling skills and research training. All aspects of the training are tailored so that content is clinical applicable from the start. We emphasize critical thinking skills that will be needed as genetics and genomics is increasingly translated into new clinical settings.
Stanford's curriculum is set up on the quarter system, and students will take 6 academic quarters of work, and conduct clinical rotations full time through the summer between their first and second years. The course distribution (see sample 2014-2015 Curriculum) will allow students to take 1-3 elective courses in an area of their choice, such as Spanish language training, cancer biology, pediatrics and reproductive health issues, or biomedical ethics.
Starting in Fall 2015, students can consider 'out of town' clinical rotations for 1-3 academic year quarters of their second year at sites that are approved by the program (please see our rotations tab and contact the program for more information if this is an option you are interested in pursuing).
We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2016 admission
Current Students and Alumni
Accomplishments of our recent graduates include:
- 100% on time graduation rate for all students in the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- 100% job placement by graduation date for all students in the classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- 82% first time board pass rate for students in the classes of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Genetic counseling as a profession
- NGSC Career Page
- NSGC Master Genetic Counselor Series
- Science: Serving families with science and empathy
- Nature Careers: Fluent in DNA
- Genetic Counseling: A Rapidly Growing STEM Career
- Explore Health Careers: Genetic Counselor
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: Genetic Counselors
- NIH/LifeWorks: Genetic Counselors
- NIH Interview with Barbara Biesecker
- Best Health Care Jobs, 2015 (US News)
- Many Career Options for Genetic Counselors (USNews)
- Genetic Counseling: A Growing Field, 2012 (SF Chronicle)
- Fastest Growing Jobs in America, 2014 (Yahoo)