OFDD supports the next generational of leaders in the biomedical workforce with intensive exposure to leadership training.
- Stanford Leadership Development Program – A 9-month program for Stanford Medicine’s emerging leaders.
- External Leadership Programs – OFDD offers support to selected applicants to various external leadership programs throughout the year.
- Leadership Bootcamp Series for Junior Faculty – The Office of Faculty Development and Diversity’s Leadership Bootcamp Series aims to prime junior faculty at Stanford Medicine with the tools required to hone their unique leadership styles and empower them toward applying these crucial skills within their professional pursuits.
OFDD offers workshops throughout the year designed to teach the skills needed to develop faculty careers.
- Cultural Considerations Series – The purpose of this workshop series is to increase participants’ knowledge and awareness of cultural considerations in academic medicine in order to engage Stanford faculty to foster an environment that respects and embraces cultural diversity.
- Team science – Leading interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research teams.
- Skills-building – Developing effective leadership and communication skills.
- Grant writing – Obtaining your first K-award or R01.
Department Mentorship Programs
- OFDD provides department trainings and consultation on creating mentorship programs. This includes advising on mentorship program design including mentoring agreements, mentoring guides, and a mentorship self-assessment tool as well as in-person training on effective mentorship for both mentors and mentees. Contact us to request more information.
- The Office of Academic Affairs has also established a new tool on mentoring.
- Connect with the National Research Mentoring Network – The National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN), funded by the National Institutes of Health, is a nationwide consortium of science professionals and institutions collaborating to provide students and scientists across all career stages of research in the biomedical, behavioral, clinical, and social sciences with enhanced networking, professional development, research resources and mentorship experiences. Participate as a mentor or mentee. Create your profile on the NRMN website today!
Lectures and Awards
- Katharine D. McCormick Distinguished Lecture Series – For over thirty years, the McCormick Distinguished Lecture Series has played an important role in the Stanford community, highlighting the accomplishments of distinguished women in the fields of medicine and science.
- McGann Women and Health Lecture Series – Professor Leona McGann was the faculty sponsor for this series since its inception in 1978. When she retired in 1985, these lectures were named in her honor in gratitude for her support.
- OFDD offers a series of faculty awards throughout the year to support the advancement of a diverse and inclusive Stanford Medicine faculty community and to encourage the study of underrepresented populations in medicine. Recognizing the successes of our faculty is important to OFDD as we honor our faculty’s myriad accomplishments.
OFDD Research Partnerships
OFDD partners with faculty to answer research questions related to Faculty Development and Diversity.
Past research projects include work in the following:
- Diversity, Bias in Academic Medicine
- Work-Life Fit
- Faculty Professional Development