LockDown Browser for Course Staff
What Is LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser by Respondus (LDB) is the school's secure online testing tool. It is an opt-in tool that is easy for both faculty and students.
This secure browser prevents digital cheating during online tests. Students cannot print, copy, or go to another website—everything is locked down until the exam is submitted for grading. Instructors can set up exams for LockDown Browser with a few clicks, all from within the Canvas.
LockDown Browser is a required install for students upon starting classes at Stanford Medicine. Occasionally LockDown Browser requires an update. Required updates are installed automatically upon launch. EdTech will work with you to create a LDB Verification Quiz in your couse prior to your exam. Students should be advised to take this quiz prior to their exam to prompt any required updates and ensure that LDB is working on their machines.
EdTech staff are always present to support online exams.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and network monitoring applications
- Web sites (URLs) with student resources, calculators and various desktop applications can be enabled with EdTech’s help
- Print, Print Screen and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
- Localized for multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese
- Supports screen readers and accessibility programs
Respondus offers free webinars for faculty who would like to learn more. Go to http://www.respondus.com/products/webinar/ to see the webinar schedule and to sign-up for a "Respondus LockDown Browser" training session.
To Use LockDown Browser
If you would like to use LockDown Browser:
- In Canvas, click the "Require LockDown Browser..." setting for the quiz in question (see "Preparing a Quiz" on this help document).
- Inform EdTech that you will be using LockDown Browser so that they can provide your course with an LDB Verification Quiz.
- Instruct your students to take the LDB Verification Quiz prior to their exam.
- Instruct your students to use LockDown Browser to take their exam. Use this student instructions template.