The Diversity Center of Representation and Empowerment, or D-CORE, provides a space where any member of the Stanford Medicine community interested in issues of inclusion and diversity can hold meetings or just hang out and study.
Vision for D-CORE
The Stanford SOM Diversity Center of Representation and Empowerment (D-CORE), established in a visible location on campus to highlight the importance of its existence, will demonstrate that supporting trainees of underrepresented backgrounds is a priority to the SOM. All medical and graduate trainee groups serving the needs of underrepresented minorities will share ownership of the community center, and the space will be open to all trainees in the SOM community. This will be a physical space for community members who want and need to celebrate their identity and serves to connect trainees, build community, and reduce isolation. We envision this space will be an environment that appreciates the multicultural aspects of identity, fosters inclusion, and provides cultural, social, and educational experiences through conversation. We envision this space will be staffed by personnel with a demonstrated commitment to supporting the diverse student population at our institution. In addition, trainees at all levels will have access to this space during business hours.
Diversity center for med school opens in Lane Library
When Tawaun Lucas began his graduate studies in 2014 at the School of Medicine, he said he wished there had been a place where he and other minority students could congregate in times of need for support, a physical space for companionship and comfort.
Share your stories & experiences at the D-CORE using #DCORE on social media!
Reserve the D-CORE Space
D-CORE Office Hours
D-CORE office hours are open for any topics of conversation. No pressing issue is necessary. Come visit us to talk! Download a flyer to advertise D-CORE office hours.
- CAPS Connects with Sonja Johansson from the Vaden Health Center, every Wednesday, 2:30 - 4:30pm, by appointment only. Download the flyer for diretions on how to make an appointment and for advertising purposes.
- Ayodele Thomas, Associate Dean for Graduate Education & Diversity, 1st Monday, 10am - 12pm
- Bryan Thomas, Assistant Director for Biosciences Diversity Programs, every Tuesday, 1pm - 3pm
- Karr Hernandez, Student Life Officer, MSPA Program, 2nd and 4th Wednesday, 10:30am - 12:30pm
- Medical Student Wellness Team, Office of Medical Student Wellness, rescheduling in progress
- Mijiza Sanchez, Associate Dean, Office of Medical Student Affairs, every Wednesday, 12:30pm - 2:30pm
- Miranda Zinsman, Associate Director of Administration, MSPA Program, 3rd Tuesday, 11am - 1pm
- Nadia Kalley, Education and Outreach Specialist in Stanford University's Office of Sexual Assault and Relationship Abuse Education and Response (SARA), every Thursday, 12pm - 2pm. Download the flyer to advertise the office hours for your office or department.
- Shaila Kotadia, Director of Culture and Inclusion, 2nd and 4th Monday, 2pm - 4pm (Shaila Kotadia's office hours will be cancelled from May 27 - August 26)
- Please note that D-CORE Office Hours may be canceled due to travel schedules and other conflicts. For up-to-date cancellations, check room L002A where office hours take place.