How can I learn more about depression?
You can find additional information about symptoms and treatment of depression and of bipolar disorder on the following websites:
- http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodResourceCenter/story?id=4361315 - This website describes an ongoing project by our colleagues at Columbia University to understand more about depression.
- http://www.afsp.org/ - The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) website has a great deal of useful information about suicide prevention and outreach.
- http://www.dbsalliance.org/ - This is the main homepage for the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance.
- http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness - This is the page on the website of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (http://www.nami.org) which directs you to information about specific mental health problems.
- http://www.depression.com - This site is sponsored by a drug company. It has a lot of useful information (no, we weren't paid to say this, and we have no affiliation with the company!).
- A review of the scientific literature on genetics of depression, with references to articles on which the above summary is based, can be found at: http://www.stanford.edu/group/depressiongenetics/Levinson_GeneticsDepression.pdf