No description of our program would be complete without emphasizing Stanford University’s prime location within the San Francisco Bay Area, an area rich in natural beauty, culture, and entertainment. Stanford’s agreeable climate makes for pleasant seasons year-round, and various nearby microclimates mean you’re never far from just about any recreational activity imaginable. From sunbathing to skiing, the Bay Area can accommodate.
Stanford campus is located:
- adjacent to downtown Palo Alto, popular for its restaurants, shopping, and specialty theatres.
- 35 miles south of San Francisco and 20 miles north of San Jose in the heart of Northern California’s dynamic "Silicon Valley."
- 30 minutes east of beaches and the Pacific Ocean as well as the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- 1.5 hours south of the famed Napa Valley wine country.
- 4 hours from Lake Tahoe and excellent ski resorts.
Local professional sports teams:
- Hockey - San Jose Sharks
- Basketball - Golden State Warriors
- Baseball - San Francisco Giants, Oakland As
- Football - San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders
- Soccer – San Jose Earthquakes
Or watch sports on campus: Stanford Athletics
Or participate in recreational sports on campus: Stanford Athletics Physical Education, Recreation and Wellness. Our campus is also home to the Stanford University Golf Course, which is consistently rated one of the finest courses in the world.
For more information about what attracts so many people to Stanford and the Bay Area, visit Stanford University Visitor’s Information.