Gore Recognizes Physicians as “Pioneers in Performance” for Exceptional Work in the Field of Endovascular Therapy
Leading practitioners and researchers from around the world commended for expanding treatment options for at-risk patients
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz.—February 19, 2009—W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore) announced it has honored seven physicians as “Pioneers in Performance” for exceptional work in the field of endovascular therapy. These practitioners were recognized by Gore for their unrelenting dedication to advancing endovascular therapy and minimally invasive treatment options for patients worldwide. The work performed by these individuals has expanded therapeutic options for at-risk patients, as endovascular therapy has now replaced a number of open surgical procedures.
The following physicians were recognized during the International Congress on Endovascular Interventions XXII held in Scottsdale, Arizona, February 6-12, 2009:
- Jacques Bleyn, MD, Antwerp Blood-Vessel Center (Antwerp, Belgium), for the development of the endoluminal "throughpass" in the superficial femoral artery.
- Michael Dake, MD, Stanford University (Palo Alto, California), for his work in advancing endoluminal treatment of thoracic aortic disease.
- Edward Diethrich, MD, Arizona Heart Institute (Phoenix, Arizona), for pioneering the multi-disciplinary approach to endovascular therapy.
- Jon Matsumura, MD, Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Chicago, Illinois), for his excellence in clinical trials and research.
- Juan Parodi, MD, Jackson Memorial Hospital (Miami, Florida) for his innovative solutions in endovascular therapy.
- Claudio Schönholz, MD, Medical University of South Carolina (Charleston, South Carolina), for initiating broad novel concepts in the interventional treatment of the vascular anatomy.
- Frank Veith, MD, Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland, Ohio), for expanding the clinical awareness of endovascular treatment.
“We are proud to recognize these ‘Pioneers’ for their extraordinary contributions to the endovascular community,” said John Sininger, Gore Medical Products Divisional Leader. “Gore prides itself on continually pursuing new, innovative technologies that improve patients’ lives. The work and dedication of these researchers and clinicians are critical in helping us develop products that embody innovation, reliability and proven performance.”
“In order to truly advance treatments, and to provide better care to patients, it is very important for physicians in the field to work hand in hand with product manufacturers,” said Michael Dake, MD. “Gore understands and values this critical relationship as a means to innovation. It is an honor to be recognized as a pioneer in endovascular therapy.”
The collaboration between Gore and physician pioneers has resulted in the development of minimally invasive treatment options for safely and effectively managing patients with aneurysms including the GORE TAG® Thoracic Endoprosthesis and the GORE EXCLUDER® AAA Endoprosthesis. These important partnerships have also yielded first in class products such as the GORE VIABAHN® Endoprosthesis with Heparin Bioactive Surface, which is used to treat patients with peripheral vascular disease (PVD); and the GORE Flow Reversal System which minimizes the risk of emboli reaching the brain during critical stages of carotid artery stenting (CAS), expanding treatment options for broad patient populations with carotid artery disease.
ABOUT W. L. GORE & ASSOCIATES
The Gore Medical Products Division has provided creative therapeutic solutions to complex medical problems for three decades. During that time, more than 25 million innovative Gore Medical Devices have been implanted, saving and improving the quality of lives worldwide. The extensive Gore Medical family of products includes vascular grafts, endovascular and interventional devices, surgical meshes for hernia repair, soft tissue reconstruction, staple line reinforcement and sutures for use in vascular, cardiac and general surgery. Gore was recently named one of the best companies to work for by Fortune magazine for the 12th consecutive year. For more information, visit http://www.goremedical.com.
GORE, EXCLUDER®, TAG®, and VIABAHN® are trademarks of W. L. Gore & Associates. AN0090-EN1
Courtney Smith or Andrea Hawley
Schwartz Communications, Inc. for W. L. Gore & Associates
781-684-0770 or 415-512-0770